Commercial "Niche" Market

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

In my state there seems to be a large number of "for sale" commercial lots that are overgrown with vegetation. I always thought that this would be a great market to get into, because most of the large lawn companys specialize in Landscaping, and pass up this type of rough cutting.

I can cut grass but I am not the green thumb when it comes to flower beds and the like. I prefer to do hand held trimming and brush cutting jobs that others pass by.

Does anyone have experience with this type of market? Do you really see a market in other regions? Generally the commercial properties are sold by real estate companies and I am not sure how best to market for their business. I am just starting out so any help would be appreciated.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

hi jimbo. it would seem to me that u could do what u are thinking about. because ,not many do it. the developers wait until they have contract to build. then usually pay the construction company as part of a building bid. what u would have to do is
    put your name out there for this type work.flyers phone calls etc.
    the bottum line is if u can do it cheaper and better than their any case itll probably take time to build an name for youself.if this is going to be your specialty . id think about mabe a bush hog, as they can usually stay busy, also tree wk.
    good luck an later now.
  3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with AWM. I've been slashing (bush hogging) for 6 years
    now,and thats the sort of gear you need to get. Good 4WD tractor around the 45-50hp mark with a 5' slasher on the back
    would serve you quite nicely. Anything bigger and you start
    having problems on smaller blocks. Tractor/slasher around that
    size goes for around $45-$50 per hour over here.
    You'll also need a brushcutter with some balls. Try the Shindaiwa
    C350. Hope that helps.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I rode along with a buddy of mine giving bids on these properties just a couple weeks ago. He has tractor and bush hog attatchment. He charges $30 and hour, with one hour minimum. The bids were summited to real estate management firm. To be cut at minimum of 6". To be mowed on a "on call" basis. For what it is worth to ya!

5. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Your city or county code has something to say about buildings that are unattended with overgrown vegetation. They usually send out letters to the owners demanding resolve. You may want to find that office and see if a list is available for you to scour. I get calls mostly in the spring when things start coming alive. Now would be a time to look into it.
    Good luck