Commercial or Homeowner?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rustyb265, Jan 3, 2008.

1. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

I am going to be purchasing a commercial mower for the upcomming season. I was in business with a Snapper Pro 48" a couple years ago....then we had two kids.....the mowing business took a back seat to say the least. My question this mower commercial grade or a home owner special. Would it be good enough to get me started with like 25-25 accounts. Would love to get a Z as this is not my full time job. THe walk behind beats the crap out of me durring the day then I have to go to work at night! THe Z would be great. Thanks for your help.
  2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

If it were me, I would buy an Exmark or Toro WB in 48 or 52 in belt drive before I would try that Ariens for commercial. You could add a sulky for larger lots. Mowing 20 to 25 accounts along with a full time job is going to be hard no matter what you use. If you dont have heavy duty equipment, You will be more frustrated when it starts falling apart.
  3. rustyb265

So that arriens is not commercial grade? It looks pretty solid from the pics on the site. And the 23hp engine seems strong. I dont know....just looking for a way to make my life a little easier.
  4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

At present, Ariens does not make an Ariens branded ZTR for commercial use (that's not to say you couldn't use the ZoomHD commercially, it's just not covered by any commercial use warranty). If you are looking for an Ariens associated commercial mower, look to their child brand Gravely.
  5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely 152Z is the lowest with 23HP that we have in a commercial line here.
  6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The Snapper is comm. Do you have a sulkey? If not that would be the first thing I would try.
  7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a sulky for your walkbehind. A commercial Z starts at $5K and the good ones go for nearly double that. That Courage motor is a POS too.
  8. rustyb265

I dont actually have the walk behind any more. I sold it a couple years ago when I gave up my accounts. I am looking to purchase a new or used mower to start my business up again. Thought the ariens looked like a good deal for the low number of accounts i have and being a z would also save on my legs. Maybe I should look for a used commercial Z rather than the ariens? Or just go back to a WB.
  9. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

It could be done you could use the ariens for commerical but remember no warranty a light weight deck light weight spindles a residential motor It is going to wear out fast. that and you really need more weight on a z that what it weighs.
  10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

If you can get your accounts in the numbers your talking about, then do yourself a big favor and buy good commercial equipment. You wont be sorry. Mowing lawns is not easy no matter how you do it.