Commercial or Residential Mower???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaloCir9, Jun 25, 2008.

1. PaloCir9

PaloCir9 LawnSite Member

In the next few months I will be in the market for a ZTR.

I am purchasing a home on a 1 acre lot, wide open with a slight slope. I do not want to purchase a mower that is overkill. I have heard to stay away from Home Depot and Lowes.

Is it worth it to spend the extra money and by an "entry-level" commercial unit? Or will typical residentials like Toro Z5000 or Deere Z445 be sufficient?

Some of the commercial units I saw were the Hustler Fastrak 48", Scag FreedomZ, and Bad Boy ZT.

Any suggestions on ZTR??
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are only mowing your 1 acre property, then you shouldnt have a lot of problems with a residential rider. A residential rider should be fine from the box stores, or in some cases dealers sell them. That would be a better approach because you would have the dealer support. Another option would be to get a gently used commercial walkbehind with a sulky. Minimum of a 36" cut. The ZTR's you mentioned are all great brands. The Hustler and Scag you mentioned are going to be in the 5K neighborhood. The bad boy, not sure, but theres a dealer on this site that sells Bad Boys that could probably tell you more about them, price, engine options, etc. Good luck with your purchase.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

did you read the other 1000 threads on here already? I noticed you talked a bunch in the Hustler vs Scag Freedom thread. Your answer is in there I believe.

It just seems like a big waste to post the same thing over and over instead of reading.