1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial per sq ft prices...help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joe2106, Jul 4, 2004.

1. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

I have recently acquired many commercial props. What is a good rate to chg per 1,000 sq ft or however you charge. One drawback is that a few of them have new, undeveloped grass, which means a slower, and extremely rough ride for the first year or so.

Any help would be appreciated, and by the way I am in the midwest.

2. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

You have acquired the accounts without talking price????
  3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

ya jon i was thinken the same but however much u want a hr Xhow menny hrs
  4. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

All the accounts are owned by the company I work for full time. I mow on the side. It is all property that I get to mow no matter what, but I want to be in the ballpark.
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

It is IMPOSSIPLE to base price only be Sq Ft

Lets say a job has 15000 sq ft of turf .... cut 1 has a belt drive 36 ... cutter two has a 60" Lazer ..... do they charge the same .... or is cutter 2 more efficient in use of TIME n can charge a more competitive price

Sq ft is good to help determine how much time you may take with your own equip .... but what your really selling is your time

Good Luck n Happy 4th to All
  6. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info..

What do you guys try to get hourly. I run a couple new lazer z's. I was kinda thinkin' around $75.00 an hour or so. Does that sound too high?? Any info would be appreciated.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you can get 75, than no it is not to high.
    What do you mean you get to mow no matter what. Is it part of your job? If not, what are they paying now. If you are a lot higher than why will they give it to you. And no matter what equipment you have it does not matter because the other LOC are giving prices based on the most efficent way to do the work. If you don't have the right equipment and others do, than they can afford to do the job and you can,t.
  8. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

It isn't part of my job, but the company I work for just acquired a bunch of properties and said that I can have all the mowing. I assume the previous owners took care of it, but now it is mine. I want to be fair with a price, but they won't give it to any other mowing company.

So to answer your question... No its not part of my job, but the responsibilty to get it done is mine, and the only reason I have it is b/c of my job.

Just looking for a good average price to make it worth my time and also theirs.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I know several commercial companies that base their prices solely on square footage, but I feel the way the other guys do in that you can't base your quote on square footage alone.

For example, if you have 2 lawns that are both 2000 sq. feet. Lets say the first is for the most part flat, St. Augustine that grows only 2" each week and there are no hills, bumps, or trees to go around. However, the second lawn has 30 trees throughout the property, the entire lawn is on a hill, and there is a circle drive and a long driveway that means about 20 minutes of trimming and edging. You have to look into all of that stuff when making your quote.

Since I don't have any idea what sq. footage my lawns are, I can't say I do this myself, but one good idea is to have a base price just on sq. footage, then add dollar amounts for each difficulty. If the area of the lawn means you would give a $20 quote, but there is a hill and a lot of trees and a circle drive, add $5 for each difficulty or something like that, so the quote would be $30-35, but if the lawn had been perfectly flat with little trimming and no bumps, slopes, or hills it would have been $20 just based on sq. footage.

I hope these ideas help, and again I don't have experience doing this, I just look at a lawn, see what all I have to do and then give them a price that I think I can do it for. Hope this helps...

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

$75 an hour would be a great deal for you, because the avarage lawn care rate (from what I hear) is $60 an hour. I don't make more than about $35-40 if you take in driving time, and then minus expenses I bet I only make about $30 an hour, but thats fine with me.