commercial plow on a 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by hudsonhawk, Oct 21, 2013.

1. hudsonhawk

hudsonhawk LawnSite Member

I'm shopping for a new snow plow to put on my Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton. All the applications I have looked into call for a light duty plow. I need a commercial duty. I was told the only reason they suggest a light duty is because I could have a truck full of people in the crew cab which would put it over the weight limit. Anyone else out there have a commercial plow on a 1/2 ton truck? Thank you.:)

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Youll have better luck over on plowsite, but aslong as you can get a mount for your truck I dont see why not. Just go easy on it. They dont recommend to put a plow on a ranger at all, yet they still make mounts anyway. Companies dont want you to beat on them, but sometimes you have to.

3. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have a 7'6" sno way poly plow with down pressure. I plow 42 lots in winter with 3 trucks and it worked great. I was worried about a poly plow. I abused the hell out of it and nothing ever broke. I was impressed.

4. nashlawn01

Around here you see plows on rangers blazers old bronco II's. I'm sure it's hard on small trucks like rangers but if its making money then it's worth it to me

5. hudsonhawk

hudsonhawk LawnSite Member

What kind of poly plow do you have? Thanks for the replies everyone.

6. CuttingEdgeLandscapes

CuttingEdgeLandscapes LawnSite Member

At the boss dealerships they will install a plow even though it says you could have a cab full of people which puts you over the front gvrw.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

There are several guys over on PlowSite with 1500 Silverado's/Sierra's, F-150's and Tundra's with commercial plows on them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. nashlawn01

I had a sno-way. But western makes one