Commercial Properties Are A Joke!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baddboygeorge, Feb 15, 2006.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

Went On An Estimate Today For A Duplex Community It Had 24 Buildings With 2 Duplexs In Each Building .it Averaged About A Quarter Acre Per Building To Mow An Every Building Had To Be Trimmed An All Sidewalks Etc.i Didn't Have Any Time To Beat Around The Bush With The Property Manager So I Introduced Myself Told Her About My Company An Just Asked Her What They Were Paying At This Time For The Mowing Service. She Told Me If My Bid Wasnt Under $300 Dollars I Was Wasting My Time . I Told Her That I Really Appreciated The Figures But That Just Wasnt Enough Money For The Amount Of Work Needed .i Told Her I Needed At Least $800 A Cut An That I Have A Business To Run An When She Needed A Professional Service To Service The Property To Call Me. I Cannot Believe Someone Would Cut , Trim An Blow For $12.50 A Building . I Make 300 Bucks In 2 Hours Of Residentials!! For You All Nickle An Dime'n Commercial Work You All Can Have All That You Want!!

2. Groundskeepers Services

Groundskeepers Services LawnSite Member

Why would you have even cared what the other company was charging? Seems to me if you wanted to go about it professionally you would have introduced yourself, told her you were doing the bid today and you would be in when you were done. For all you know the other company could have been charging her 900 a cut but they had cutbacks this year and thats what they wanted to pay. Just seems more professional to me to go conduct your business and not worry about what the other guy is charging.

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I know what your saying, tomorrow I go to bid on a good size apartment complex and a scrub has been mowing it so I'm sure my price will be a lot higher.:rolleyes: I also put my bid in for my cemeteries tonight going for year 3 with them, then I have some other commercial properties to look at and bid on tomorrow. If it goes bad this year I'm going to 100% residential, right now I'm 40% resd. and 60% commercial.

4. Gatewayuser

Thats right I never ask or know what the other companies charge.

5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I bid on the storage facility where we park our trucks. The owner sold the place to a new owner and the first thing he did was fire TruGreen. They asked me for a bid to mow the place. I explained that I did not do commercial, and I had no idea how to price something this large. I asked them to let me mow it once so I could see how many man-hours this place would take and then I could get them a price.

We are running 21" mowers and I know a ZTR would save a tremendous amount of time. Anyway, we figured this place would take about 7 man-hours to mow & line trim with our equipment. I turned in my pricing.

Next time I was in the office, the manager decided to show me their Trugreen contract that they had just cancelled. Trugreen was mowing this entire place for $49 a cut. I scrutinized the contract. I was certain they were making it up elsewhere. Their prices for shrub trimming & all the extras were right in line with what I expected to see. They weren't making it up anywhere.

The entire experience was very eye opening.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

6. Gatewayuser

You got to remember $49 was probably about right if they were using a ztr.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

So, what you're saying is, you can make $150 / hour doing residentials, which all must be at least 1/2 acre in size, since you're saying each building was about 1/4 acre. That means that if you're getting $50 / yard, that you'd have to do 3 / hour.

In order to do 3 / hour, they'd have to be about 1/2 acre or so, pretty much right next to each other. And to do the $300, they'd have to be all 6 pretty much right next to each other.

Even if it's one yard / hour, I'd like to know where the residentials are that pay $150 / hour.

As for the 24 buildings, at a rate of 1/4 acre each, that's only 6 acres, for, what you say, they wanted the bid at $300, or $50 / acre, all in one location.

Most people on here would say that's pretty decent money. Now where near your $150 / hour, but decent none-the-less.

8. Groundskeepers Services

They were probably using two or three ztr's for that matter and paying everyone min. wage.

9. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

i dont think i would even approach a duplex community or that type of thing, the ones around here seem like they would be a pain to mow, and im sure they dont want to pay much.

10. Groundskeepers Services

It depends on the type you get into, i've got a pretty ritzy one here and there willing to pay about whatever i charge them. I think we get about 30% more than the last company did, but the last company didn't provide the same quality of work.