Commercial Properties/lawns Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FTGUprprtyMaint, May 3, 2008.

1. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint LawnSite Member

So i recently was asked to take on an additional 50 accounts for a guy that owns all the properties and they are all over the city. Some of them have a few patches of grass, some need mowing, some need just trimming, and some just have hedges. He said he keeps getting fines from the city because they arent being taken care of. How would you go about pricing this type of an account? Per property? Hourly labor? One set price? Suggestion would be great. I'm suppose to get the list of address this weekend and start Monday!

2. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Did the customer give you any idea on how he wanted you to set up the bid?

3. FTGUprprtyMaint

nope and no bid just wants me to do them, but i haven't figured out how to price it

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If your primarily mowing, I'd bid out each yard, as you'll make more money that way, as long as your mowing efficiency is up to par.

If it's maintenence then go with an hourly rate, and try to give him an idea of how much labor is involved.

The only pitfall I see, is that this guy obviously hasn't invested any time or money into his properties. Be careful, he might dodge paying you.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If your primarily mowing, I'd bid out each yard, as you'll make more money that way, as long as your mowing efficiency is up to par.

If it's maintenence then go with an hourly rate, and try to give him an idea of how much labor is involved.

The only pitfall I see, is that this guy obviously hasn't invested any time or money into his properties. Be careful, he might dodge paying you. :cry:

6. FTGUprprtyMaint

i don't know if getting paid is going to be the problem. he said hes had to pay a few $1,800 fines last season i just don't know how to price it far as how one place would have such a small lot that just needs to have a line trimmer come threw it and some where the bushes just need to be maintained. and sum a few passes with the mower. charge on a:dizzy: square foot basis? or Hourly or per property:dizzy:

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

When you get the list you are going to have to see the properties to make a decision. 50 places make take a couple of days to figure out.
    Note the windshield time and whether it is worth the trip for the money.

White Gardens makes a valid point. Asked to be paid weekly. Fined by the city as a slum lord? I wouldn't waste my time personally.

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Just figure out your labor rate per day. Add in a cost for equipment cost per day. Example two mowers at 50.00 per day. Then add in the rest of your daily expenses. As a sole operator your labor rate should be around 500-600. With an employee around 300-400 more. So charge him around 600 per day if you are solo.

9. metro1handyman

metro1handyman LawnSite Member

I am new to the site, but I believe I can help with this one. I own remodeling company and have a lawn maintenence subsidiary, a lot of my lawn work comes from property preservation companies who work for mortgage companies that have to keep the foreclosed homes up to code so they do not get fined. The same is true for investment property owners (slum lords as some refer to it).

All companies who do work for these preservation companies have a set amount that can be charged for a property. You have an initial cut charge and a recut charge. (Usually you will hit a property two weeks apart or sometimes longer. We base by sq ft the minimum charge being in the 0-5,000sq ft range at a rate of $35 for initial, and $25 for recut. After that you have increments of 5,000sq ft at a rate of $5 for each increment.

As far as hedges go, those are based on linear ft and you probably already have a rate for that, in some form. Wild trees on fence lines are something you will probably be faced with at some point, considering the properties you will be visiting. The way I figure that is by what I consider to be a fare hourly rate for my work(not to mention your equip., gas, etc..)

Hope this sheds some light into what you are after. If I can be of any more help let me know.(that is, if you find it helpful.):dizzy:

10. metro1handyman

metro1handyman LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention, that in my field it doesn't matter how much grass is on the lot or not on the lot, the price does not charge. Also you should charge more if you have to move debris out of the way(junk from previous tenants). Also in my field anything over 8-10 inches warrants an extra charge.

If none of that interests you I would say charge your normal rate for a mow,blow and go,(because that is all he will be interested in, he probably will not want edging and landscaping) and if I would base on a semi-monthly charge(for 2 trips) and cut it down to 2" so you may even be able to skip a few cuts here and there. (10" and the city usually starts to take a look)