1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial properties: What is the myth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Aug 16, 2003.

1. What is the myth commercial properties are so much better than residential?

Am I missing something here, only difference is most are business and not single family dwellings.
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

From my experience, commercials have a budget they need to spend on grounds. Some things which they have done are not 'necessary', but still need to be done, ie lets say trimming shrubs 4 times per year, which you wouldnt do at most residentials. Also, no one seems to bother you on a commer. prop. You could be there 4am sunday morning, or 9pm sunday night. Maintenance at most commercials run the gamut.......include everything. I do both.....both have their pluses and minuses.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

No myths,just budgets and lowest common denominator in many cases.(pricing)As has been said,both have pluses and minuses.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just that...a myth, fable, fairy tail, dream, unfounded belief, you name it etc.
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think if you have the right commercial prop....the one where they want YOU, not the lowest bidder, are the ones which are great.
  6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Never knew there was any stigma attached to commercial accounts.

Any and all accounts are equaly valued.

Whether it be commercial, industrial or residential. How well your business reputation precedes you and how well you can sell is the "Myth".........;)
  7. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

the best thing about commercial accounts IMO is, they pay year round.

any and all commercial properties we deal w/ are billed on a monthly basis(set fee for the month for general grounds keeping). pruning, mulching, snow removal, de-icing, that is all extra on top of the set monthly fee.

for example, if a hotel pays us say $3,000 a month to keep the place looking top notch, they could be looking at over $10,000 on top of that $3,000 if we get a lot of snow/ice.
  8. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

In my opinion, you are missing quite alot, but thats cool, you have your niche and i have mine.

That's what this business is all about isn't it.......finding your niche
  9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

There seems to be plenty of myth material here already, take your pick.;)
  10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

KenH hit the nail on the head.
    We "pick" our commercials very carefully. The only myth I've heard about commercial is that they are extremely price sensitive. Personally, I have not had a problem with losing one to a lower bidder. We spoil the krap out of the commercial customers so much so that they know they won;t get that kind of service and quality elsewhere.(and they are paying for the "spoiling" even though they dont realize it.)

One of the Geesers here on LS had a saying something like... "Under-promise and over-deliver." That theory works real wel...l at least for us