1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Property Managers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MikeTA95, Sep 25, 2012.

1. MikeTA95

MikeTA95 LawnSite Member

For the guys who maintain Commercial Properties - How did you reach out to the property managers to eventually get the properties you have?

I currently have two commercial properties - One that was included with a friends clientele when he went out of buisness and passed it onto me, my other commercial property was for the common areas of my neighborhood and I was voted in by my neighbors, who are my residential customers.

I've been wanting to expand more for next season, and I've been reaching out to businesses and Commercial real estate companies who manage properties. I've stopped in businesses to ask who was in charge of the properties, and I've made cold calls to management companies, and all of my efforts have been met with rejection in one form or another.

I have the proper skills, equipment, insurance, licensing, work ethic, employees, and enthusiasm to maintain these properties.

But I can't get anyone to call me back. So what has been successful for you?

I think if you approach them unsolicited you'll come off as desperate.

Every commercial property i have ever bid contacted me. The majority found me by searching the web. The rest I really dont know.
  3. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up 3 fast food joints by the property managers calling me.
  4. landgator

landgator LawnSite Member

I stopped by the locations and talked to managers. Coldcallin
  5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

For what little I have with property managers I hammered them constantly. E-mails once every 45-60 days reminding them in still here wanting to do business with them & several phone calls & voice mails within a 6 month period to find out if they had anything coming up for bid or any new properties.
  6. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

We cold call. We probably land .05% of the calls, but .05% of hundreds and hundreds (probably thousands, even) adds up.

Good luck!
  7. krzys555

krzys555 LawnSite Member

go in and ask for a manager.
    find out when the bid date is. most important.
    come back 2 months before for a bid packet

or just keep cold calling, sending emails, but preferably regular mail.
    and just keeping at the same people
  8. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

signup with google and start advertising. You are wasting WASTING your time going to talk to these people.

Think of all the time, energy, gas, enthusiasm you're wasting. These people won't call you back if you cold call, it just doesn't work. They have to find you and call you.
  9. trooper8870

trooper8870 LawnSite Member

Property managers are only interested in you when they need you. In my experiance, property maintenance is the very last thing on their mind and they will only talk to you if they are made to take bids. Then they tell the current LCO what your bid is so they can increase or decrease their price as needed.. Property managers hate change!!!
  10. GreenGuysLC

GreenGuysLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have never landed one on a cold call. My major contracts have simply found me through my online presence. prob over 85% of the business world finds what they need by googling it. I have had good luck with just sitting by the phone. Make sure you are always available to answer... they dont always leave messages.