Commercial push mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FS Lawn, Dec 22, 2002.

1. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

I am looking for a good commercial grade " push type "mower , ( propelled or push )what Brand name do you recommend? I have looked at the Exmark Metro and it looks fine , I am just trying to find other brands to look at before I get one..

2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

We use Toro's simply because out of the 100 accounts or so, we only push mow 5 yards. The toro's respond really well and cut grass without a problem. THe only problem with ours is it doesn't have a true blade shut-off when the blade is not engaged as I have knicked my fingers rather deeply (3 stitches). As for particular models to look after, I wouldn't know which one.

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did alot of research on this already and bought a Toro Proline 21" 5.5 hp 2 cycle. Starts no more than the 2nd pull and I never have to change oil since oil is mixed in with the gas for 2 cycle engine.

4. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

The Toro Proline and Exmark are virtually identical in every respect from what I can tell. Price wise, they are about the same in my neck of the woods.

I run two Toro's - one with a 2 cycle Suzuki and one with a 4 cycle Kawasaki with blade brake. Both are self propelled and I would never go back to a manual push model ever. The self propelled give you a consistent mowing speed, no matter what the temperature. When its 90 degrees out, the last thing you want to be doing is struggling with a 100 pound machine on a hill. It takes the same amount of time to mow a property whether its 40 or 90 degrees.

They bag and mulch very well.

The two cycle is approximately 6 years old and I had a short block replacement this spring (1/3 the cost of replacing the entire machine.) and the rest of the unit is as good as new.

I am moving to 4 cycle mowers because of emissions - both regulatory and because of my health. The 4 cycle has a smaller tank and thus requires frequent refueling. However, at the end of the day, my clothes don't smell of exhaust and my lungs aren't screaming for mercy.

Once you accept that you are going to pay a premium for a premium machine, I'm sure you will find either of these units a good investment. I see too many people accepting that they pay $300 two times a year for cheap mowers when they can spend $1700 for a good machine that will last 6-7 years with proper maintenance. (I'm using Canadian dollars to illistrate my points here)

5. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

I have a Exmark Metro now and realy like it . The main reason I am asking is I have a freind that is interested in a "Yazoo Keys "
    What do you know about these mowers ? are they worth the money?

Thanks for all of the information........

6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking too for a new 21inch Commerical Push mower. Right now got a piece of crap Murray from 91.
    I've heard alot of people on this site also recomend JD JX75 i think?? 6hp Kaw motor i think 5spd. Havent checked at the dealer yet for pricing.
    Matt

7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

i have 2 of the home depot jd's 500 apiece and pure junk.foresure get something like the exmark,toro,com.lawnboy.
    jd does make a good one with a kaw. 5spd, and steel wheels it's about 1000.you sure get what you pay for here,i had to learn the hard way. :p

8. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

HOw much for a Toro compared to the JD JX75? Anyone know? $1000 little steep, but ive also heard they sell for $800 so who knows.
    Matt

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The JD JX75 is an excellent machine. I have 4 of them and they get used hard every day of mowing season. The 75 is just one step down from the "commercial" JX85. THe 75 and 85 are exactly the same mower except the 85 has steel wheel centers, adjuster reinforcement brackets, a wear guard on the bottom lip of the deck, and an oil filter. I have run both, but have switched to the 75's. They cost less, are a little lighter, and all the added features of the 85 can be bolted right on the 75 later if you feel you need them. The Toro commercial and the JD commercial are almost exactly the same price here. The 75 is about $200.00 cheaper.:)

10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same as mowingman, but I do not use the 21", except on a church bank and maybe a few other places. The use I get is only a couple of times on a season. I cannot see investing a lot when only using a very very small amount of time.

But on the other hand, if you have a lot of area's to use the 21", then I would get the best money could buy.....within reason. If your using everyday then you want something that will not only perform well, but do this everyday.

I too cannot see investing money 2 or 3 times a season for a disposable 21". Get one that will last and take care of it.