Commercial Quote Lost :(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsplus, Apr 5, 2006.

1. lawnsplus

lawnsplus LawnSite Member

Ok so this commercial account calls me and asks for an estimate.

I drive over measure the property and its 19,375 square feet of turf and 3000 square feet of beds, along with a large parking lot that she wants policed weekly for garbage, cig butts etc..

So this is my quote Cut and pasted exactly as I sent it to her (she lives 100 miles away from her building):

Weekly (28 weeks)–
    1. Mow all grass areas
    2. Line trim where mower cannot reach
    3. Weed planting beds
    4. Edge all sidewalk/turf transitions
    5. Blow clippings and debris from sidewalks and parking lots
    6. Police garbage on entire property

Twice Annually –
    1. Edge all soft / bed edges by hand with a shovel twice per year.

Five Application Fertilizer Package (per schedule below) –

Five applications (New Sod Formula)

- Early to mid April pre-emergent crabgrass preventative
    - Late May weed and feed
    - July early summer stress reducer
    - September fall root promoter and weed and grub control
    - November winterizer promotes early spring green

We will monitor the properties plantings and advise owner of any issues as they arise.

19375 square feet of turf.

My quote for the season was $1260.00

Am I high for these services?:confused:

Where did I miss out? :cry:

I do residential accounts half this size for $45.00 per week.

I don't get it!!:hammerhead:

What do you guys and gals think?

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you're low to me. Ask her why you lost her business and let her know if she gets stuck with a bad company she can always call you.

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp LawnSite Member

It seems low to me, way low. Im not trying to bash you but it seems to be worded unprofessionally. Mine state it in a break down on each service with all added up in the end and Totaled. Lastly break it down into 7 or 8 monthly payments. Sometime if you give them a year total it freaks them out.

Weekly: This Price - per/cut (28 weeks), you dont need to put the line trim, sidewalk edge, etc in there. If its a commercial account they know that its a given.

Extra Services: Edging Only twice a year ?????? We edge out the beds twice a month and cultivate as well. You dont need to tell them how your going to do it either. That is irrelavant. As give them a price on how much each or per month it will cost.

Fertilization: Thats good how you have it, just give them a break down of how much each application costs.

Like I said break everything down and make it more "contract" wordy. Then total all the cost up and make a monthly payment schedule. Im not trying to mess or anything will you, just trying to help out. Good luck with future estimates.

Ken

4. lawnsplus

Thanks Ken..

Yeah I did give them a six month break down and a discount for prepay as well.

I didnt break down the individual line items, but I guess I should in the future.

Regardless she said the price was on the high side.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe she has been around the block a few times, and realized you were low, and thought maybe the service would not be up to her standards. Telling you that you were too high may have been a nice way of saying "thanks , but no thanks"..I dunno:confused:

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Your price was way low given the added services that are included in the yearly cost. Perhaps theres another reason that she is not telling you.

7. lawnsplus

But I have to say that around here commercial work like this is never quoted much higher.

It would be nice to think she didn't give it to us because we were too low.

Just not probable.

In our local mini phone book, there are 27 companies offering Lawn Care.

In the big book its more than I care to count.

We have alot of "lowball" companies here and I am guessing she found one.

I do work for a local 7-11 and a walgreens that are about 100 yards apart, and both of those took a price even less than $45.00 per week to get.

The lowest bid at the 7-11 was $27.00 for 18,000 square feet including the fert. The owner didn't feel good about them and threw away the bid.

Walgreens took five bids and picked the middle still less than $45.00

On commercial around here with bed edging and fert you can get around $2.00 per thousand square feet. At best. On the quote above I even thought I might be a little high but not that high.

And yet all of you think I am low I dont get this either.:hammerhead:

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Different regions, different pricing...:waving:

9. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

it does seem somewhat low, can't think why she would leave it...