Commercial Registration with Residential Plates?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Petr51488, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Does anyone do it this way? I was told that in NJ (could be other states as well) that you can have commercial registration with residential plates. This would work out perfect for me because i would be able to park in the street (would do it either way) and i would be able to drive on roads that commercial vehicle’s are restricted (would do that either way too) So my question is has anyone done it? Any problems with doing it this way?

2. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you have to register a half ton pickup as a commercial vehicle. At least not here. You might register it in the name of the business, instead of your own name, but it would get a regular non-commercial tag. Trailers under a certain weight (10,000?) also get the same tag as every other privately owned trailer.

Commercial tags here are for taxis, limos, and bigger trucks.

"Company Cars" just get regular tags.

3. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know who told you this but if your truck is registered as commercial then you get commercial plates you don't get a choice in it, you also have to display business name, town and gvw on the the truck. To register a commercial truck you have to file with the dmv to get a corpcode from them. Insurance is also filed as commercial which is bacially the same thing they just file it different.

4. Petr51488

from NJ

I was told by my insurance agency, dealer, and a cousin that knows someone who does the same. Everything would be commercial (insurance, registration) but i would just have residential plates. It's a certain code under the NJ law that not too many people know about. I'll get more information once the new truck comes in.

5. SiteSolutions

I don't think a half ton truck has to have the name, town, gvw, DOT#, etc on it, although if you're in business I don't know why you wouldn't letter up your truck. I have heard that only one ton trucks and above have to register with the DOT to get a DOT number. I can't recall if 3/4 ton have to do it. I would think the same logic applies to license plates, but since when has logic ever been central to government rules. I would say that the rules lump 1/2 ton trucks in with sedans and SUVs and so forth, and I don't ever see any of those with a commercial tag. The contractor I started out with has commercial tags on his trucks that tow equipment, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and up, but on his old blazers and explorers and stuff that employees ride in to jobs, the have regular plates just like any other car.

6. SiteSolutions

Of course, I am sure every state is different, probably just to prevent people from being able to figure out the rules.

7. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

In new jersey it's alittle different, laws are so different from state to state. In nj any commercial truck has to have the name, town, and gvw or dot instead of GVW or you can get a ticket. Sorry but I have a hard time believing that dmv will register your truck as commercial but give you regular plates. Maybe your agent and dealer is just putting in the policy that it's a personal/work truck but it's in your name not the company. I have the book and know what I went through at dmv to register my trucks commercial and no where does it mention what your talking about. You can register your truck non-commercial code 15 which states you are only using it for personal use(no signs on door or advertising) http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/NonCommercial.htm or commercial code 11 which your registration and tags start with X http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Commercial/Commercialvehicle.htm#11
    Like I said before to register a truck commercial in nj you have to write up a letterhead with the company info and go to dmv, it takes a couple days for them to process it and you get a corpcode from them and then you can go register your truck as commercial, I've done it a few times and its always the same thing only quicker after the first time you get the corpcode. Call dmv and they will tell you the same thing, I went through it a couple years ago and it's either personal or commerical use.

8. Petr51488

from NJ

I completely forgot about this thread. Guess What? I got my commerical registration with residential plates! Its a gray area, but it got done. Their comm/pass registration. The registration is in my company name, with regular plates. I was told i wasn't allowed to put lettering on the truck, which i wasn't going to do anyway, so it works out for me. I also did what you said, and had to get the corp code for my dealer to set all this up.

9. Lawn Tech LLC

Lawn Tech LLC LawnSite Member

In Missouri if you register as a comercial truck you get 1- 24,000lb plate. Anything less than 24,000 is a residential plate. Here we can not put commercial plates on a 1/2 ton truck.

10. Petr51488

from NJ

Mine's a 3/4