Commercial Toro two cycle engine differences

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Indy452, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Indy452

Indy452 LawnSite Member

Hi folks, I decided to swap coils out on my suzuki powered toros this eve and made a strange discovery.

I have a 1996 22040 which has a dead coil and I've resurected it enough times I'm tired of messing with it so since I like it better than the 22043 I thought I'd swap out the coil and worry about the 22043 later this winter. Well I looked on the Toro master parts viewer and the two coils had the same number so I assumed they would swap out no problem. Either Toro parts viewer is wrong or I am on the 22043 because the two coils look different and the 22043 coil will not spark for me on the 22040. I got to looking at the flywheel and the magnets are placed differently on the two as you will see in the pics.

Can some one point me in the right direction because I'm confused unless the 22043 has a different flywheel to compensate for the blade brake clutch. And I'm only assuming this is a 22043 because the model tag was eaten by corrosion before I bought it. Its the only model I know of with a bbc on commercial mower of that line. Maybe someone knows of a different one?

Does anyone know where I can get a coil for the 22040? I looked up prices and they are ridiculusly high. Are there any vendors that sell used parts online?

The 22040 coil view
    [​IMG]

The 22043 coil view
    [​IMG]

Both coils side by side Why does one coil have three legs? And the one I need has two legs?
    [​IMG]

The 22040 magnet distance is wider.
    [​IMG]

The 22043 magnet distance is closer
    [​IMG]

Thanks, Neal

2. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh... the old 2 cycles, didn't think any were still alive and kicking. If the coil is not firing make sure the flywheel magnets are still good by either seeing if the coil will stick to the magnets,or use a magnet in your hand and pass it by the poles on the flywheel, good flywheel will attract and repel another magnet,bad flywheel no response to another magnet. Make sure the air gap between coil and flywheel is at least 1 business card thick, I like 2 cards, if still no fire the coil maybe shorted by kill wire, disconnect wire to be sure. If you can ohm the coil with a meter the plug wire should read infinite when you touch the metal coil mount bracket with the 2nd test lead. Next, if all that fails send me an email I have all kinds of 2-cycle parts, best motor ever made I'm looking for piston & jugs for same, but EPA says NO,NO,NO!!!

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I've been out of the shop envoirnment since 2002 so am not absolutely sure of the break in the model/serial numbers but I do recall replacing coils on older Suzuki's. Some utilized a more recent coil and required a new flywheel as well. They were shipped as a kit as I recall.

Indeed the Suzuki was/is a quality two cycle engine--almost impossible to wear out if maintained properly. The most common wear point on the older engines that I worked on was a worn throttle butterfly--allowing the carb to suck escessive air, thereby causing a surging condition.

Dutch

4. grbillings

grbillings LawnSite Member

mowermankevin,I,m needing a coil for a resi Toro 2 cycle mod#20581 with engine 47pz2 I think it,s a 4.5 or 5 hp, I see you said you have all kinds of parts,i hope you can help me ...512-635-3786 ,There is one Commerical 2 cycle listed on craigs list for Dallas Tx listed under Farm& Garden hope this helps you...

5. grbillings

mowermankevin,I,m needing a coil for a resi Toro 2 cycle mod#20581 with engine 47pz2 I think it,s a 4.5 or 5 hp, I see you said you have all kinds of parts,i hope you can help me ...512-635-3786 ,There is one Commerical 2 cycle listed on craigs list for Dallas Tx listed under Farm& Garden hope this helps you...

6. grbillings

Learned something new about Toro 2 cycles today if you have one of the early engine #47pz1 or pz 2 or pz3 and maybe pz4 these mower engines have points with coil and condenser,these have the 2 post coil,I was adviced by mowermankevin to make sure the conderser is good or the coil won,t work either.Well toro discontinued the condenser for this engine too,just like they discontinued the coil,so by chance another mower friend gave me a Tecumseh 2 cycle condenser to try part #30548B with the top clip cut off and some of the plastic cover that keeps the trash off the points trimmed,I put on the flywheel coil and reset the points to .17 thousands,torqued the flywheel down and used my 18 volt drill with a spark checker attached,then spun over the engine,and guest what I have major spark.so i buttoned it up added gas,first crank,started run like it,s brand new....Now I can,t wait to start working on my other 2 cycle.Tecumseh does stock this condenser part....thanks mowermankevin

7. Indy452

Indy452 LawnSite Member

If you learn that a coil from another engine maker will work on the Suzuki by golly you report back O.K.

Neal