1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Town-home Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bogielski, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Bogielski

Bogielski LawnSite Member

I have an opportunity to bid on this account. I am having a hard time coming up with an estimate for this job.

Mowing, trimming, edging - once per week.
    Mulch around trees replaced once per year.
    Entrance ways - flowers planted twice per year.
    Fertilizing entrance ways three times per year.
    Weed control on areas with pine straw and side walks.
    Hedging twice per year.

Land - 28.7 acres
    Homes - 26 units per acre (4 units = 1 quadraplex)
    Total Quadraplexes - 36
    Total Hedges - 168
    Total Pine Straw area - approx 14,000 sqft

Attached is a blueprint of the area.

BM Townhomes section 1.jpg

BM Townhomes section 2.jpg
  2. Bogielski

Forgot to mention that the average lawn for residential go for $30 - $40 1/4 acre - 1/2 acre depending on the amount of trimming.
    Our hourly rate is $50 - $65.

My estimates were coming up to something like this:
    Charge $25.00 per town-home = $900 per week for 8 months Mar - Nov.
    $850 for pine straw, $3.00 per hedge = $1008, 700 for flowers,
    650 per fertilizer application.

This would total = $35,016 for the year
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

One other factor to consider. Are these mid to high end TH's? Rental or is this an HOA. Average unit rental price. It sounds like they want top service. What happened to last LCO?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Bogielski

It is managed by an agency that corresponds to the HOA. According to the agency, the current provider isnt providing all that they asked for. They would like to "Upscale" the service. When i went out and looked at the property, there is no weed control in place, hasnt been edged for months, and grass and weeds are all over the sidewalks. The community was built in 2002, and the latest addition was in 2006.
  5. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting. Subscribing.
  6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Your bid sounds quite in line. You are probably going to need a "come to Jesus" discussion. HOA's are notoriously cheap. Hopefully they see what that has gotten them. They need to accept the fact that upscaling comes at a price. Submit your bid, follow up and keep us posted.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I like for you, the fact that they say they want to 'upscale'. Surely they couldn't be so dense as to think they can 'upscale' without you putting a premium price on your premium services? If you have the manpower for this one (huge), you might be able to score a nice account at a great price for you.
  8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

A few things you might want to consider.

Are you going to be paid by the HOA or is this "managed by a agency that corresponds to the HOA" a property management company? If it is a property management company, I would personally be out. The current provider might not be doing what they are supposed to, but then again they may be owed so much money that they are giving the HOA bare minimum with a one finger salute.

When looking at your price breakdown I did not see a place that you accounted for leaf clean-ups and I know you said you are going to be mulching trees. If these are deciduous trees you need to remember the leafs.
  9. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I would probably add 20% to your bid. For the mere reason of PITA.
  10. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

i worked for hoa that was managed by an agency. what a mess. hoa dropped them and i still do work for them. pays faster and not playing phone tag all day long