Commercial Vehicle Ins.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PLM-1, Feb 28, 2006.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious to who has and who doesn't have commercial vehicle insurance. This question is related to small operations who use their vehicle as personal use as well.

Lets not turn this thread into a "i can't believe you don't..." or "you're a scrub w/o the proper ins."

My commercial vehicle nearly doubled this year and i'm thinking about just dropping back to personal vehicle. It went from $1650 to nearly $3000 per year. I have had NO claims/ticket/anything! My general liab. and inland marine didn't change just my vehicle.

I would also be interested in who has personal insurance and had an ACTUAL accident while vehicle is being used for business.

2. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I have commercial auto for all my three trucks. One is a backup, actually may sell it once I get it inspected, but back to the point, I use my pickup for estimates and snowplowing, as well as some repairs, so for me I just keep it under the comm. policy. I figure it's easier to keep it all legit, and not have to be worried all the time.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got 2 trucks, both under commercial insurance, since they both could be used at any given time for work.

Approx. $2,000 / year for a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 and the same more or less for my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4.

Instead of dropping your insurance back, I'd look at switching companies.

I deal with a guy that's an insurance broker, not just a Progressive / State Farm / Allstate agent.

Every 3 years we shop my insurance around, to see if there's any companies that are looking to pick up commercial accounts. It always switches depending on how much a company has to pay out in a certain area.

I WAS using Unitrin at about $8500 for the year for my trucks, liability, equipment insurance, but this last fall, I switched to Allied Insurance, and now am paying $5500 for insurance. Saving me $3000.

Also my personal vehicles we shopped around, and went from $1200 / year with Unitrin, and put a 2005 Chrysler T&C minivan and a 2003 Saturn ION with Progressive insurance, and the insurance dropped to $550 / year, less than what I was paying for 6 months with Unitrin.

Same thing happened with the house insurance, went from $1000 / year, to $450, and the company that I have now, actually DROPS my house insurance each year if you don't have a claim, if only by $5-10.
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for your input. Allied is who i have now. I go through The Insurancenter.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The online "Insurancenter"??

You might want to check around, see if there isn't an insurance broker in your area, and go speak with them, or even a couple and tell them that you're price shopping.

There's things that they know, possibly to get you a better rate, than looking online.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've been a sole proprietor for over five years until last week (LLC). Both my trucks have just "regular" insurance with Nationwide. What's the difference with commercial insurance? With the LLC and the fact I'm looking at getting a cab-over truck in the next couple months, I guess I need to know about this. Funny, my insurance agent knows exactly what I do and they've never mentioned commercial insurance at all.:confused:
  7. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

Well, mine didnt either until I asked him what happens if I am working and have an accident with my trailer on, he simply told me, I wouldn't be covered.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I don't get it. I thought automobile insurance covers your trailer (eg:boat) for liability in an accident as long as it is hooked up to the vehicle. I know I couldn't get insurance years ago for my ATV trailer. My concern was a wreck and losing the ATV. I'd been told my auto insurance covers liability and damage for items being towed in a wreck. I want to be sure of this. :confused:
  9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

The best thing to do is to call your agent and ask point blank. It is their word that matters, not the ones giving advice here. Me included. That said...

IF you are involved in an accident, and IF it is during the course of your job, personal vehicle insurance will NOT pony up:nono: . I know of many that get around it by lying. "No sir, I was just getting a sandwhich from Wendy's. This stuff? Oh I am going to cut my friends grass for him for free.":rolleyes: That just raises the rates for the rest of us.
  10. mbg

mbg LawnSite Member

Maybe the best thing is for you to talk to your local agent ... got one?
    We are a commercial concrete company just expanding into lawn care this year. We are incorporated, if that makes a difference, but ALL our vehicles are commercial insured. We have been told that a trailer towed behind a vehicle that is "doing commercial work" as a company would not be covered under "personal" insurance. Are YOU the only driver?