commercial vs. residential accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brymenke, Jul 15, 2004.

1. brymenke

brymenke LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any advice on commercial vs. residential accounts? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I currently have about 20 residential accounts and am considering adding commercial ones for next season. Whats the best way to secure these commercial jobs? Thanks, Bryan

2. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

commercial is one drive and one big check instead of haveing to drie to a bunch of seperate accounts

also unloading is always the same time no matter if the lawn takes 20mins or 2 hours

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Do a search, there are a ton of opinions around here.

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

When I started in the biz this spring I thought residential would be the market to target thinking commercial would be difficult to get into and payment would be harder to collect. After a few months into it, I have one residential, all the rest are commercial. The commercial accounts are all pretty large except for one bank and a resturant. The rest are all 2-4 acres in size and priced from $75-$175 per week. And they always pay on time!

One of the really nice things about commercial is I can start at 6:00am, no noise ordinance to worry about. Also it's easier to add services such as shrub pruning, etc. (really need to get my fert. app. license) Once the clock hits 5:00pm everyone is busting down the door to get home, so someone needs to provide the services. Next season I will focus most of my marketing towards commercial as I go full time.