commercial vs residential

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Dec 10, 2001.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i was just wondering what you guys have more of, commercial or residential account? also i'm wondering if the general population or the area that each of us is in has a strong affect on which is a better target.

my ratio is:

0 commercial vs 70 residential

and the population or my surrounding area is about 400,000

2. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

I will not do large commercial accounts for a variety of reason that I won't mention here.

my ratio is 2 small commercial, 85 residential

my population is about 500,000

My business is lawn mowing and landscape maint.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We service a little over 90 customers. All of them residential.

We have in the past serviced commercials, but we have found that as soon as a lower price was found, we were kicked to the door. I am not saying all commercials are set up this way. This has just been our experiences.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

When it comes to comm'l I would rather it be churches. I have a few comm'l but about 80% residential.

5. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Have 30 accounts- 6 are commercial, 1 HOA(6 acres), the rest residential. I much prefer commercial. Had to drop my first customer last week (residential) because he/she could not be pleased. Called every time I did their property and said "blah, blah blah". The last straw was when they expected me to rake their entire yard (1.5 acres) as part of the contract. Most residentials are good. but I'll prefer a 50/50 ratio.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

6. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I try to avoid commercials, myself. First of all many of them require 1-3 million in insurance. Next, they usually want you to do everything. (i'm trying to phase out of mowing) and last, already mentioned, they will drop you for a lower bid because "they" get a bonus for saving money.

7. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

All res. here! no commercial

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We are 80% commercial but we do maintain around 50 residential homes. I like commercial accounts better! We get paid every month wether we work or not and tend to be less time consuming. I do like residential accounts but we found out years ago we make more money with commercial then residential but we still try to maintain around 50 homes a year to bring extra income in. We were doing construction jobs also and found the same that there is a better market for it (up here anyway's) for this commercial service and since a change over to mostly commercial in our landscape construction we have tripled our cash flow in 1/2 the time and our maintenance division has got close to the same figures. But it will depend on your areas (region) some make more on res some more on commercial.

9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

22 residential & 17 commercial

10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

50 mow 50 application with 12 being commercial. Commercials are real good, so I worry about losing them a lot.