Commercial Walk Behind Mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ferdinand711, Aug 11, 2006.

1. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

Thinking of doing some side jobs on weekends.
    Does anybody out there from lake county Indiana that knows where to get one? and what is a good starter mower?

2. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

It kind of depends on what kind of mower you were thinking of. If you are looking for a 21 inch walk-behind, Lawnboy and Honda offer a good commercial machine for around $500-600. Residential units are also available from Toro, Lawnboy and Honda, starting around $300, but they may not take the rigors or commercial use. If you are looking for a midsize walkbehind, RedHawk makes about the most inexpensive units around, a 32" for around $1100. They go up in price from there, as well as other brands. I think you have to figure out what kind of lawns you are going to mow, and then you can evaluate what equipment you will need. Write back with more info and we will try to help.....Mike

3. ferdinand711

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of doing the mid-size residential properties first, those that you can consider minimum or per visit property size(don't know how much to charge though,yet) and I'll work my way from there on how am I doing it,how fast and how to determine the time I would have to spend on a particular area.

4. lordmaximus240

lordmaximus240 LawnSite Member

best bang for the buck period.

5. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I second that ..The Quick 36 is a great machine and the support from Better is second to none and most likey better than 99% of all dealers ...

6. Chip Riz

Chip Riz LawnSite Member
    from florida

the 22' toro residential mower is a great small mower it depends on how big the yard is obviously but i used to cut around 10 small to mid sized residential yards a week with it and it lasted a good 3 years for 300 dollars you cant beat it. If you were going to do around 30 a week a 48' scag beltdrive walkbehind is more than sufficent. The scag is a great mower for residential yards

7. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

It's tough to recomend any mower without looking at the properties that you are going to target. Size, Fences with gates, Obsticles to mow around, number of lawns you plan on trying to cut in the time you have..... How much capital you have to spend........ All these things figure into the equation.

-TAZ

8. ferdinand711

Thanks For The Comments Guys, I Appreciate It.

9. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

There are lots of good dealers in Lake County. Hubinger in Crown Point is good. My own "personal" dealer is Burke's in Valpo. They're on US 30 just east of the Lake/Porter county line.

10. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

Quick 36 all the way.