commercial walk behind mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plc2005, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plc2005

plc2005 LawnSite Member

Who makes the best commercial walk behind mower. I'm looking at purchasing one 36" and one 48". I've looked at John Deere, exmark, and walker. Any info on those , or any other makes would be great.

2. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Walkers are great but I'd steer clear of the walk behind (MW)they have. The pushbuton speed control so pretty awkward to use among other things. I had a hell of hard time with it. I don't know much about the deere stuff just know they are trying to kill off their small, medium, and non exlusive dealers. Exmark is good, check out the new Scag Pro V also. If you can find some old stock Hustlers they are nice also but I stress old stock because the current hydro TrimStar Hustlers use IZT's instead of the traditional pump and wheel motor combination. The old style ones won't be TrimStar units(925677 for 37) is the . The Husqvarna WH4817EFQ is pretty nice too in a 48.

3. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

You will not go wrong with the 48 hydro, floating Toro T2. It is a great machine.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I love the Toros. If you have the $ a T2 is awesome, and if not a T-bar is the best belt drive system on the market.

5. solidchaos73

solidchaos73 LawnSite Member

not to jack the thread or any thing, but is there a difference in using a hydro walk behind or compared to a belt driven walk behind?

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I like the T2 Toro also, very nice machine. With the 2 wheel caster style sulky it is awesome to work with!

7. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i'll be honest with you. i have a 2007 toro 36" walk behind with t-bar gear drive we hate it. it is so hard to turn my employees will grab a 21" before using the toro. i have the toro for sale for $2300 if you like, comes with a sulky. the next mower will be dual pumps hydro's for sure. quick 36 and ferris 32" are single hydro's and are hard to turn also. so only buy a hydro with 2 hydro's. you might want to check out www.drpower.com they are now offering a rich mfg 48" and 52" mower that you can ride and when you come to a hill jump off and the handle bars flip back and it turns into a walk behind and they have an extended warranty for 4 years of warranty for on lt for $159.00 more. u can't beat that. we run a rich mfg 60" mower and it does a great job.be sure to find out where your local dr power dealer is in case you need repairs.

8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Toro or Exmark are the only ones we have used, give em a try.

9. nograss

nograss LawnSite Member

The difference in a belt drive and hydro is like a stick shift and automatic in a car. People buy belt drive because they are cheaper. Invest in a hydro if you can.

10. plc2005

plc2005 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guy's, sounds like toro's the way to go. How much for one of these
    T2?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.