commercial walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnrogers, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Guys I was wondering if a walk behind is good to mow fairly steep hills, I have several yards that are hilly and have been mowing them with a push mower, thought it might save time with a 48" walk behind. Also my dad and son help me some, sometimes when I get done with trimming I am just standing there when with a walk behind I can also mow with a sulky. Just wondering how steep of hills they would handle?

2. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

You shouldn't use a sulky when mowing hills. Just walk behind it.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The WB's are able to handle steeper hills than ZTR's and pretty much the same hills that the 21" mowers can handle. If the hill is pretty steep I would avoid using a sulky.

4. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Sorry guys let me rephrase, the sulky is so I can mow the flat areas, then hit the hills and I know not to use the sulky on the hills. Thanks

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The best hiller I have is a 32" Scag belt drive. I can manhandle it a little but it still climbs right up pretty steep slopes. I tried our dual hydro units and you can hurt youself if it gets away.

6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i would go w/ a 48". the bigger ones have a wider wheel base and seem to hold better imo. ive had toro, scag, exmark and jd and ive been pleased w/ all of them (jd was the worst of the bunch). avoid the sulky and it can handle some pretty steep hills.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

My 36" will climb anything. I have tons and tons of hills, some of which are pretty nasty. And i ride my sulky though pretty much all of them...

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have and use 5 walkbehinds of all sizes and they all shine on a hill. I prefer the hydros though. Also, I wouldn't use a sulky on much more than a slope because it will leave ruts and also put a lot of stress on the sulky wheel bearings. Been there, replaced that! Several times! Tony

9. ajeaajea

ajeaajea LawnSite Member

i have a toro belt drive 40" it goes fine on hills no problems at all with it. Keeps a striaght line.