Commercial Walk behinds???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by abcfamily, Sep 29, 2006.

1. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

I mow residential homes (senior citizens who only want lawn cut once a week).I am looking to go from a standard 22" to a 32 to 40 inch walk behind.
    However in the area in which I live the dealers seldom sell them and are of little help in helping me decide what to or not to look for. What do you the professionals suggest? I like the idea of going hydro over gear, don't really want to go over 36" deck due to maneuverability on small lots. Prefer to mulch over bagging. I never side discharge since grass is normally 3-5 inches tall and it looks bad. The brands I am currently interested in are:Billy Goat 33", Simplicity 1534 pacer, Wright Velke, and also have considered the Ariens mini zoom 1534 rider. I also have had some trouble with carpel tunnel in my hands.
    Thanks!!!

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

The simplicity is a single hydro so it only has instant forward to reverse not steering. The billy goat is a single belt so it has no steering. The velke is a dual hydro so it has steering and instant forward to reverse. As for what to buy i would get the velke because it is the only commercial mower you have listed. I would also look at quick 36 for better lawn and garden products. www.quick36.com

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

i may of missed it but what kind of money are you liking to spend? don't say the green kind. how many years do you need to get out of your mower? do you mow flat land or hilly do you go through gates do you use a trailer or walk to your jobs.

4. guven

guven LawnSite Member

Hi
    I have billy Goat 33''
    I am using it every day 7 days a week, I love it, It is really good money maker, its also good on the hills, before billy goat I was using home owner push mower, the cut is nice ,it makes money and I bought scag ztr in three months.go billy goat you will love it
    I use mine verry hard, if its die I am going to buy same one

5. abcfamily

Thanks for quick reply:
    How well does you billy goat mulch? I had a dealer tell me that it does leaves great but on tall grass you must walk very slow. ?????

6. abcfamily

Thanks for quick reply:
    I am loking at 2-3000.00 depending on lenght of 0% financing. I curently use my dodge ram to hall Toro 21" and hope to use my ramps to load bigger mower in same truck, but also am open to buying a 5x8 trailer. Curently all land is flat with no gates. As far as how many years, As many as I can. I would hope for a minimum of 5.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased a simplicity two seasons back electric start striping kit a great cut,if you don't mind walking all day go with it.

8. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked into Toro's T-Bar i think you can get a Metro 32-36 in deck for about 3,000 15 h.p. Kawasaki.

9. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I WOULD SAY BUY A TRAILER. UNLOADING AND LOADING IS VERY DANGEROUS. I WILL THINK YOU WOULD WANT A 48'',52'' W/B. RIGHT NOW IS THE TIME TO LOOK FOR USED MOWERS FOR HALF THE PRICE. LOOK FOR ONE WITH 300HR OR LESS. FIRST THING CHANGE ALL FLUIDS AND FILTERS.