commercial work is a crock of....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 25, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

every single commercial job i've ever bid, i lost, by someone who came in ALOT cheaper. and it's always the "big professional" outfits that come in cheap. my last bid= a cemetary, and 2 churches. full service= cleanups, mowing, ferts, and seasonal flowers. i bid at $39,000. the winning bid....was $16,000. freaking CLOWNS, the 16 grand was about what the cleanup alone would have been at the cemetary.
  2. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

With few exceptions I have never been impressed with commercial companies for work. Sure if you do a huge volume and like the headaches maybe. I know what your talking about. Give me 250 residentials and all the spin off work opposed to the same $$$ volume of comm. I can't get over what they mow per thousand SqFt.
  3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

They have to pay for all those toys in order to impress people.

Stick to your price and the solid jobs will come.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u r right there bob they go to the cheepest guy out there and then look for someone cheeper next year
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Commercial is not for everybody especially the larger ones. Theres no way a company with 2 employees can compete with a company with a crew of 5-6 Laborers that can do the job in almost half the time. The big companies are set up to do alot of volume.
  6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

"what we lose on each one, we make up in volume" mighta been henry ford?
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, i can see the light through the smoke, but for one thing.....mortality....the common lawnboy fails to realize his MORTALITY. i can go, full steam ahead...but for how long. there is a country song, it goes, "i aint as good as i once was, but i'm as good ONCE, as i ever was.." when the common lawnboy FAILS, he comes up with things like, "i got burnt out" or, "i got tired of the bullcrap". or, "i found something better". GUESS WHAT, these are all excuses for= i just didn't plan, for EVERYTHING. "everything" meaning, how your mind and your body would respond to this business, after 10 yrs, 20 yrs, 30 yrs....... IT AINT burnout, it aint anything, but FAILURE to plan for the future!!!!
  8. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

What does that have to do with this?

RRHAMMONS LawnSite Member

I see a lot of state jobs here bid way too cheap also, but, the job will be rebid in the following year. Check to see if these guys are still doing the job the following year.
  10. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

i see where your comming from i put a comercial bid in and the other bloke charged way to cheap like really cheap basically i thought he ripped him self of and i hate it when people do that because the people that dont rip them self of have to suffer and it sucks anyway you hang in there

Stay classy