Commercial, Zero Radius Mowers or Tractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by unclebob, Apr 9, 2006.

1. unclebob

unclebob LawnSite Member

Maybe some of you could be of help to me. I’ve tried looking up some ratings and rankings on the Internet and it’s useless (all they want to do is sell me a brand, not compare). I’ve been tractor mowing for about 20 years. I do fine high quality work (mostly estates of 3 to 10 acres). When I’m done with a job it looks like it was done with a push mower. I have a Bush Hog deck (5’), sharpen it before every job, so like I said it looks good. My question is this. I have been told that some if not all of my jobs could be done just as good if not better, and definitely quicker with a Zero turn Mower. Ridding on this tractor for 20 years has created physical problem as well, and I’m told that the Z mowers are easier on the old body. Most of the terrain I mow isn’t too rough, but some is kind of pasture like with divots and holes every once in a while. Should I stick with my tractor or are there some of these mowers that can handle some work, leave a jam up looking job, save me some time, give me a little more comfort and not take me to the poor house to purchase it. Some Ideas & some personal experience would help.
    Thanks ahead of time for your help & God Bless
    Uncle Bob

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

ZTR's are faster but not that good on rough ground and hills. if you have finished yards that are smooth use the ZTR it's much faster then using a tractor. Ferris makes a suspension mower that works well on bumpy ground but they costs a lot starting at $10000.00 for a 3000 and up to $16000.00 for a 5000. use your tractor on the hills and over rough ground. :waving:

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

unclebob,

The best thing for you to do is get lined up to demo a few brands of these ZTR's. Take them out, run them on your properties and see what you think about them.

May be the ticket for you, may not be... you do the comparing.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

As suggested, do some demoing.You will probably come to the conclusion the productivity of a Z-turn, is light years ahead of a tractor.