Commercial ZTR manufacturers. Who will survive?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I got to thinking about this the other day. There are, I believe, around 40 brands of commercial grade ZTR's on the market. I believe this is way to many for the market to absorb, and within a few years, at least half will fold, or be bought out.
    Based on what you see in your part of the country, who do you think will fold. I know many manufacturers are having a hard time holding on to existing dealers, and trying setting up new ones.
    What do you think?

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Major league thread you just started I think.

As far as my part of the country, I believe these will be around for the rest of my landscape career.

Lesco
    Walker
    Exmark
    Scag
    Toro
    Bobcat

There are what I have used and see on trailers every day ( expcept winter ! )

3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you have to consider how long each of these 40 or so have already been in business. Companies like JD, Exmark, Toro, Scag, Dixie, and Gravely will never die.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I think the popular brands will make it, toro, exmark, JD, scag etc. and maybe a few "surprise" brands that make it.

5. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

around here the east side of town uses ferris,bunton.
    the west side of town uses walker,wright,scag
    there used to be alot of exmarks but alot of dealers stopped selling them.

6. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

A few I think will always be around: Exmark, Scag, Dixie Chopper, and John Deere. There are a few brands you rarely hear of that I imagine may not be around to long.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Kinda surprised to not see Hustler on that list, this is anothe 40 yr. company.

Geoff

8. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Yes that a good one too. I'm just listing what's popular in my area. I wish we had a Hustler dealer around here, I would take a look at one. I think if I were ever to go retail I would open a Hustler dealership to offer another big name in my area.

9. thegrassmastersinc

thegrassmastersinc LawnSite Member

Toro, Exmark, Dixie and SCAG are what you mostly see around here. It all depends on where you live though. Different manufacturers have strong sales in different parts of the country, these are just the ones that I think do well everywhere.

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How about the 35yrs of Grasshopper? Still flying solo.