Commercials?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by extlights, Aug 26, 2006.

1. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious if anyone here has done any tv commercials for their business? I have a meeting on Monday to talk about possibly doing this. My big concern is that I'll have to take money from other advertising sources and put that into the commercials to stay within our ad. budget for the year. I'd hate to spend the kind of money they want for this and get nothing in return. Anyone have any luck with this?

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Dave, I have talked to landscape lighting guys all over the country and I have never heard a good thing said about TV advertising in this business. For the cost of what you would spend on the TV ads, you could do several direct mail campains or a nice upscale magazine.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

word of mouth is the best way to go. maybe yellow pages also. Do a good job and word will get around.:cool2:

4. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

CANCEL THE MEETING! Listen, your target audience is not everyone in the city or town you live in, and that is exactly what you are going after with a commercial. Trust me, don't waste your money on commercials. Watch out for the salesmen, the ones that sell tv are really good and will have you buying way more than you can afford before you know it. Direct mail is the only way to go!

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

We looked into it. Just doesnt seem cost effective. We have a new city magazine out here that has alot of home builders and such with ads in it. I think its around 325 or so for a 1/3 page ad in a 3/4 size magazine.

I have noticed the magazine laying in 3 clients homes so far.

6. NY Landscape Lighting

NY Landscape Lighting LawnSite Member

We are trying RSVP next monthfor Landscape Lighting and Holiday Lighting. 75,000 postcards in a postcard deck of 25-30 businesses within our county to upper income and home values. We'll see. We tried 2 upscale mag ads last year and 1 this year with 2 calls between them.

7. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

What is it they say about the definition of insanity- Is it doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

8. extlights

Well thanks for the info. My wife used to sell network commercials and she said the same thing. However, there is another lighting company in this area that has been doing them for almost 2 years now, so he must be getting enough business from it to keep it going.....nobody is going to spend 2-5 grand a month on any source of advertising if they aren't getting any return. Makes me curious.

9. extlights

We've done rsvp quite a few times and it's ok. It's very inexpensive for the amount of people you hit. However, choosing the right location and criteria to send them too is most important. We also do a direct mail piece of 5000 every month though. I've tried upscale magazines and really haven't gotten much response from it plus it was too expensive, and homeshows are a waste of time in my opinion.

Networking has been our best source of advertising....builders, electricians, landscapers, and lighting showrooms is where we get most of our business.

As far as our target area... we go in an 80 mile radius from our shop. So it's not like we're just hitting our town or county.....we hit portions of 2 states.

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

dave how far into illinois are you going. I was born in highland park/deerfield area and thats some pretty high end clientel around the north shore when you get into highland park...glenco...winnetka ect... Dunno if you have tried that area and it might be a bit far from you. Im guessing your someplace around kenosha with a nice growth pattern.

Would have to be some huge installs right along the lake front area on and around sheridan rd