Commercials?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bastalker, Mar 18, 2004.

1. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you that have complained about losing bids to lowballers on commercial bids.....Welcome to the real world..

Its a fact of life. Newbies gettin into the biz everyday, an think commercials are the bomb...Bid low!!!...... They might not make any money, but at least there feet are in the door. If they can get this account, the manager will turn them on to all sorts of stuff. We are awsome, cause we got a commercial account.........
    I dont even waste my time anymore, cause I know that some idiot for whatever reason, is going to underbid me significantly.

I say to you guys on the forum, let them fight it out. The huge companies lookin for fill in work, or the new guys lookin to get thier feet in the door. Let them have all these accounts...

I stopped bidding on commercial accounts a couple of years ago, just cause I was tired of wasting my time. I turned to residential, where the work is appreciated, an they are not looking for cheap.
    They want thier lawns to look nice, and stand out from the others on the block.

Nowadays, commercials are a losing battle. Companies want cheap, an they are getting exactly what they ask for.

Go to www.elmlawnsite.com, and look at how many commercials you see.

You can waste your time an come on here an ***** about losing out to these slobs bidding commercials, or you can tap into the residential market, an get a name for yourself that will be broadcasted across the state.

I for one am tired of dealing with these idiots doing all these commercial properties for next to nothing. I welcome thier ignorance, and wish them the best........Give me a homeowner that wants thier yard to be the best one on the block.... ;)

2. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Bastalker..... I beg to differ with you.... Commercial is sooooo much better than residential ( for me that is ) I would rather do lawn & landscape on 10 commercial properties than have to spend the whole week doing 100 residentials to make the same money. Residential customers can be a real PIA, as for commercial... they only get cranky when the GM is coming into town ( maybe 3 times a year ) other than that you never see or hear from them.

Just my opinion.... :D

3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Indy, I read your post that wrestlingcouch posted about doing 15 acres of mowing, an ferts, an hedges. I also read that you would have no problem doing it for $9000.

Mowing 15 acres 26-30 times thru the season. Doing the hedges twice a year, an fertilizing 15 acres 3 times a year for $9000, I feel that your dissagreement with me doesn't really hold much merit..

If you are charging these prices, I will hire you for the same price, sit on my ass an collect the difference....

You stated in that thread that you can mow 6 acres an hour with your 52" mowers... I feel that is pretty far fetched. So you can mow 12 acres in an hour with 2 - 52" mowers? I think not...For the fact that I couldnt do it with my 2 - 60" mowers....

I dont want to start an argument, but you are really low with your prices..

I really dont think you can make the same amount of money with 10 commercials, as anyone else can with 100 residentials with the price that you stated for the 15 acre job........

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Besides that, you have the possibility for 100 leads to new customers versus, well, probably none. What commercial account has really ever turned into an avenue for referral work?

Maybe, just maybe, commercial work is different elsewhere in the states, but as for around here, it pretty much comes down to the cheapest price. Not always, but quite often. We do about 10% commercial work and they are all good accounts. That is pretty sad though for all the companies we have solicited. I don't get too excited when bidding them for this reason alone.

bastalker, keep quite, let these guys waste their energy pursuing commercial properties while leaving the residential to us. I think there are too many people that don't do residential because they can't do them right. That's fine with me. We pride ourselves on quality work and leave the hacks to the commercial properties.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like someone just lost a bid.

6. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

No it sounds like someone is making some money...

7. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial,residential,what difference does it make as long as the "net"money you make is high.Commercial i try to avoid unless one is handed to me.They can be cheap,no doubt,but some are good.All this constant bickering on this sight about it,give me a break!

8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree, residentials may be a pain, but in the end, they still pay the bill and keep coming back. I've bid on some commericals around the medium price level for the area and others had bid half of wht I did, can;t wait to then them go under. I don't understand how they make money mowing places that take an hour with one to two guys charging $40. It's ridiculous. I wish some people would relly take into considerstion the quality of the work and customer service rather than price first.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are a solo operater or two man crew I agree you can make OK money on res. accounts only. Large commercial customers require a different method. When my 5 man crew goes to a job and spends 8 hours on it and say I charge $40 per man hour and I clear $20 per man hour thats $100 per hour in my pocket. Travel time is no pay time. Thats why I do very few homes.

10. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

comercials are a huge waste of time they always go the cheapest and there is no loyalty, the second they find sombody cheaper your gone, it dosent mater how good you are and u guys just watch and see as the economey gets worse so is our commercail market because there is gonna be less money to be spent