commerical bidding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coryc_23, Jan 31, 2005.

1. coryc_23

coryc_23 LawnSite Member

Want some input looking at bidding a 52acre school want to know how you would bid this have a idea for this but with gas price the way they are want to make a little on this so please give me some input. Thanks cory

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I would probably bid $35 for the first acre and $20 thereafter - = 35 + 1020 = $1055 per mowing - then add in any trimming along chainlink fences - they probably have a bunch, unless they allow roundup under them. Probably have curbs, but that usually is taken into consideration in my bids, because I add up the entire property. I do not take out buildings and parking lots because it probably would be the same to mow the entire area unimpeded as it is to mow around things and trim.

Therefore your 52 acres may be 70 acres total, and in that case, my bid is $35 + 69acres x 20 = 1380 = $1415 total.

3. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

I always bid only on what they want and make sure extra's are by the hour (that's hourly per man) or by the job. All materials are cost plus 20% in addition to my minimum hourly rate that only I know (most contracts look for low bidder but the extras will put you in the plus I have never put an hourly rate on unless asked before signing usually double wages per man). Just make sure you know what you are bidding on or you'll be working for next to nothing or paying them to work.

Keep copy's of your contracts on the job site and don't budge.

Don't bid on it if you don't get it all, that puts someone else's fat foot in the door.

Let the fools go broke, bid your time like it is the last job you have time on your schedule for.

4. coryc_23

coryc_23 LawnSite Member

so you say about 35 dollars per acre ? see this school has 5 different locations in my town so it kind cut up where you go to mow. Like the football field is at the high school and the practice field is a mile down the road i don't have to spray anything but roundup down the fence rows the rest is done but a different company. thanks for input if you think of anything else to help me out give me a email at crabtree_landscaping29@hotmail.com

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Being new on this site you probably don't know that Flex-Deck has the tool to do a job like that very efficently. Are you set up to do this job or if you get the contract can you get the equipment. Your competition will have the right stuff so that is the way you have to bid. Also if you have to move from site to site make sure you include windshield time.

Do you have the right insurance to do this and are you licensed for pesticides (round up). The cost of insurance has to be figured in to this job if you need to get more.

6. coryc_23

coryc_23 LawnSite Member

Well this is the equipment that i have that can get the job done in a high quality way here is the list of equip. 27hp exmark zero turn w/72 in cut that i run at 13mph and can run circles around my competition, also 425 stiener 4wd w/6ft & 7ft decks and a 220 stiener w/72 inch cut ,36inch exmark walkbehind a 48inch cut hydro exmark two stihl weedeaters a blower ,sprayer and a 2500 dodge diesel 4x4

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

is maybe the project too big for you to do? Have you thought about that?

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, You have the equipment covered.

Not trying to be a smart a**. Some people will ask how much or how to do the big stuff and all they have is a 48" WB.
    Just asking to be sure you knew what is required and it appears you do.

9. coryc_23

coryc_23 LawnSite Member

sorry about that pm wasn't trying to be a smart a?? . I dont think that flex deck would even work on my exmark but yea would like to get the contract but don't want to under bid it and be kicking myself for it.

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have 4 of them on eXmarks.