1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commerical Lawn Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JB YARD CARE, Jan 21, 2006.

JB YARD CARE LawnSite Member
    from Livonia

We Just got into the business last year and this year were looking to get in to commercial accounts. Do you usally need insurance for a commercial places to be interested in you?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

They will not let you work without it they will ask and in our case we always fax a copy so they will call.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

you will need insurance,worker comp.&,business license
  4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

So far any that I've dealt with in the past never asked for a copy of my insurance. BUT I wouldn't do it without it. Incase they ask for it plus if something was to happen. Even just doing residentails I would have at least general liability.
  5. Bulldog26

Bulldog26 LawnSite Member

The commercial prop. I do require Liability Ins., workmens Comp. and Commercial Auto.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

If you run 0 workers you do not need workers comp a least not here stata law.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Here you don't either, however, most companies insurance companies require that all outside vendors carry work comp insurance.

SO, with that said, I carry work comp insurance, even though I don't have any employees. I find it's easier to just pay the $400 / year for a sheet of paper that says I have work comp insurance, rather than be on the phone with all these different companies, trying to explain that "no, I do NOT have any employees", which then they drag their feet on paying, since it's not conforming to their standards.

Also, in 17 years, I've never held a business license, unless you're talking about sales / use tax license. As far as a license that says I can mow, no, never.