commerical ZTR question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gaunlet13, Apr 21, 2002.

1. gaunlet13

gaunlet13 LawnSite Member

Looking at a used Grasshopper 720K and a Scag Turf Tiger for maintaining ~3 acre yard around a farm house. The front mounted deck on the Grasshopper looks like it will allow mowing under the bottom strand of a barbed wire fence. The yard has mild rutting in places caused by stock trailer backing up to the corral. Also the Grasshopper with the front deck has nothing overhanging the rear wheels so it should hang up less on ditches.I'm thinking that the front mower deck will provide a better cut in this enviornment.
    What are the pros and cons on front mounted mower decks versus mid mount?
    ANY help or suggestion is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You will get a better cut and ride on rough ground with the Grasshopper. You will also be able to get under that barbed wire fence with it. I think from what you have said, the Grasshopper will do a better job for you.:)

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

This is a debate that I also have had to deal with. I have a J.D. Z-TRAK front mount mower. The more I cut with it the more I feel it is a better choice mower for me. I've noticed a lot of places I cut up to a mid-mount just would not get to. I have the 60 in. deck so it is off set a little to the left. I can cut under trees, fences, shrubs etc. with no weed eating required. I think you would be more happy with the grasshopper.