Commission based crews?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncutr, Oct 20, 2004.

1. lawncutr

lawncutr LawnSite Member

Anyone have any crews that they pay on commission and or part commission and part hourly wage? Any pros or cons? My crew is hourly wage and works pretty well except when things slow down, they lollygag around and try and make the bigger jobs take longer than they should...what are some good techniques to motivate workers? Rewards?

2. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

There is a long thread discussion a few days ago about this & we posted our pay by the yard system. I dont know how to post a hyperlink to it, but just do a search "Pay By The Yard"

3. lawncutr

lawncutr LawnSite Member

Irronically, I looked at your website and have many of the same ideas you did about your company...just mow or do plants...efficiency is everything, also stick to a few areas and don't get spread out...you referral system is something that I have been wanting to do here in Austin for awhile.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

One Word Complaints! Crews on commission go to fast. On # 2 Put an add in the paper for better help and make sure one of them see it.
    John

5. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly what we did to motivate our mechanic & it made a new man out of him!!
    MJ

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

So i guess i'm not dumb after all. :waving:

John