1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Adam's Lawn and Garden, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I was reading an article called mass production on a Dallas, TX company. He paid his employees by commission. It sounds like an interesting theory. I was wondering if anyone out there did this, and how it works?

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Commissions are paid (usually to a sales rep) for each sale made. Good sales reps will make a base salary plus a commission that equals a percentage of monthly gross sales, on each sale, or however the company structures their commissions. We pay out what is called a commission/draw method which means that our sales rep makes $X or 8% commission of gross sales (whichever is greater). Now, keep in mind that his average monthly gross is $23,000 in direct sales. Unless you are capable of doing $300,000 in sales a year and needs someone to sell that much the commission system is probably not for you.
  3. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

Well, first, this idea came from an article. I was not sure if the worker gets a hourly rate, plus a commission for extra work, or how it is set-up. This is for our updated business plan.

Thanks, more comments would be great!

4. dmetro

dmetro LawnSite Member

I am new to the Forum. I purchase a company and the salesman / designer is paid as follows. Base Salary of $600.00 plus 14 % of the gross profit on the project. Example: 3000.00 job at 50% profit equals $1,500.00. The commission for this job would be $210.00 in addition to the base salary. Do you have any suggestions. I think the salesman is comfortable. We have the ability to do 300K and we receive a lot of referrals and quality leads. My challenge is the work is not being sold and a lot of the projects need a design. I can handle the smaller projects.