Common Bermuda

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 1999frontier, Mar 2, 2011.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I know some of the hybrid bermuda it is suggested to cut with a reel mower. I'm wondering if common bermuda would be better since I just have a rotary mower. I'm looking to replace my fescue with bermuda since it gets too hot and dry here in the summer. Then in the winter I could overseed with annual or perennial ryegrass. Does it establish fast? Also, can I encourage the bermuda growth with following the bermuda fertilizer schedule?

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, yes and yes. Common bermuda germinates fast and spreads like wildfire. You can rotary cut at 2". Do not side discharge or you will have it in every bed and the neighbors yard. Fertilizer 6x yearly, slo N. Overseed with annual only. Be prepared for more bed maint as it really creeps. I redid my front yard 2 years ago but it is contained with concrete edging. Bermuda lawns are gorgeous when right and don't deserve the negative reputation they have.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 1999frontier

from NC

My yard has the concrete edging in front of our house and the start of the neighbors yard is there driveway so I should be good as far as keeping it in our yard. I know the soil temps have to be atleast 55 degrees. When do you think I should aerate and seed bermuda?

4. Patriot Services

My mobile device doesn't tell me where your at. If your soil temp is 55+ anytime now. I would recommend slit seeding over aerating for planting. I topdress and seed and get rapid germination. The seeds only need to contact the soil, not be several inches down the hole. Aeration is always a good idea, IMO its not appropriate for seeding.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 1999frontier

from NC

I'm in eastern NC.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Patriot Services

Your nightly lows will delay germination. Give it 2 more weeks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. JERELG

JERELG LawnSite Member

Which part of eastern NC? The guys at John Deere landscapes told me to wait until April to change my yard over to bermuda. I think soil temp needs to be at 65 degrees and have no chances of frost. I also read not to seed rye grass in the winter for the first year of starting up a bermuda lawn.

8. Patriot Services

Why would you not overseed what will be a well established 9 month old lawn with ANNUAL Rye?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. JERELG

JERELG LawnSite Member

In general planting ryegrass with the Bermuda in the fall, increases the risk to the Bermuda seeds & seedlings becoming establishing in the spring. Any grass that is already growing in a lawn area such as a ryegrass is competition to the little seedlings when they start germination --- which means that some seedlings will not survive the competition from the ryegrass (or weeds) once they germinate. Most all turf experts recommend that you DO NOT OVERSEED RYEGRASS during the first fall / winter season after planting Bermuda. Allow your Bermuda time to establish and mature before overseeding with a ryegrass for winter color

10. Patriot Services

I understand your point. However in practice I have yet to see anything outcompete Bermuda. People spend fortunes and whole seasons trying to get rid of stray Bermuda that gets in their turf. When the heat comes up you can almost watch it grow. Bermuda is fully established in weeks not months. Just my experience.
    Posted via Mobile Device