Common Problems for Lawn and Landscape Owners

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tpatt09, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Never Smile when you weed wack. Keep your mouth closed at all times!

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

it's never enough, last year wasn't enough I started the season in the hole and seemed like I was behind forever, here it is dec again and same thing I'm already anticipating being in the hole before feb or march gets here, it's all the little crap that creeps in during the season that you can't anticipate that eats away your savings, we had two blowers get stolen, I got pushed into a curb and trashed the wheel and tire on the trailer both tires were due anyway so I went ahead and replaced them both on and on and on. Not to mention the customers that think they don't have to pay their bills so you end up in small claims court.

3. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

exactly! And the social hour after they show up late

4. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Many of my clients are elderly and some of them live alone. When they see me they come out and they want to talk. It starts with a question and then turns into a story telling session with one story leading into the next. Before you know it 5, 10 minutes have passed and I can't get a word in edgewise. Even when I get a chance to break in and say I enjoy talking to you but I really have a full schedule today, they acknowledge I'm on a schedule but then they keep on talking. I understand they are lonely and I really don't mind if I'm not to busy spending a little time with them. Hey, I could be the lonely old guy someday. I don't know how to break free without seeming rude. Don't know how to solve this problem.

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Know the time it takes you to service the customers and have someone call your phone 5 - 10 minutes after that time. I've done this to customers after a scheduled meeting. I know the ones who have nothing better to do than talk for an hour. I have one of my guys call my phone, I tell the customer I need to take the call and excuse myself saying something came up and I need to be somewhere else RIGHT NOW. I'm sure there are other ways but this has worked for me in the past....

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

The days are never long enough!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Drought, theft.
    Then there's inattentive and/or aggressive driving.

After that dog crap doesn't even bother me.

I still remember this one customer...
    He was out trying to get an estimate and we ran into it, the dog crap that is.
    He was talking about how the current Lco wouldn't even pick it up...
    I said, well, you know ...
    As I bent over to pick it up, I could see his eyes getting REAL big!
    I said all right, I won't do it now since you're here and I can see that what I was about to do would upset you but I have two dogs of my own and it doesn't bother me one bit to just pick it up and chuck it in the woods over there, now I don't mind doing it but it really is not the Lco's responsibility to do this, do you have like a hand shovel or something?

He didn't say another word.
    He still has the same Lco.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

How much do you spend a year on advertising?
    Believe me, I know it's not free but it is cheaper to talk to them.

You understand now, I don't have an advertising budget.
    Nothing, zip, zero, zilch.

Because chit chat is cheaper.

9. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

You must be solo
    Advertising is cheaper when you have workers
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. lkendall

lkendall LawnSite Member

i don't know about you guys but around here I swear that when you run a string trimmer the toads come out of the woodwork.. They jump straight in the thing