Common Wire Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GreenLight, Feb 1, 2009.

1. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

For the past 2 years when I am running my common wire I have spliced individually to each and every valve with the common, even in spots that have multiple valves in a tight manifold or group. I have been told on more than one occasion that it would save me time, in places of multiple valves, to take one lead from each valve and simply tie them together with the common as opposed to wiring each one independent.

I guess in the past I was always concerned about tying the valve wires together, but if they are just common leads is this going to make a difference?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you make reliable electrical connections, the extras shouldn't be a problem. I tie all the valve commons together.
  3. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Now that's common knowledge.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Yes, tie them all into the same (common) wire.

thats why we call it the common.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I suppose the screwballs that stuff eight or more valves into a box might have trouble with some of the waterproof connectors. :)
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

In multiple valve manifolds, I would tie the incoming common with a group of "shunt" commons, with a single wire to each valve. The multiple commons would get a DBY, the shunts connecting to each valve would get a King "blue". Reason being each valve could be serviced without disturbing the entire common bundle. (No W*M jokes, please.)
  7. GreenLight

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

I just wanted reassurance that his was acceptable as I had always individually tied them because I was afraid having all the common leads from the valves touching each other could cause some adverse affect to the solenoid (I don't have any logic behind that thinking, other than paranoia and being overly cautious)...
  8. GreenLight

Just checking to see if I am on the same page here. You are basically saying use the incoming common wire as a hub and then run common shunts (leads) to each valve?

If that is the case, then I have been following your advice for a long time. That is the way I had always done it (and theoretically, for service it is a great thing). Sorry, my wording made it sound like I was t-ing off the common to each individual valve. But what I meant was I had hubbed from the common then gone individually to each valve because I was paranoid about having the VALVE leads touching each other.

Thanks for your feedback, at least I feel a bit justified for my past work.
  9. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I'm doubly impressed - a post that is actually about irrigation followed by sane reasoned answers...
  10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Careful, you'll derail it with those kind of epiphanies.

GreenLight. Youll have no problem having all the individual commons from the valves touching.

With them all attached to the common at some point, they really are all touching anyway. Whats the diff?