Communication in the field

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JeffY, Jun 28, 2003.

1. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

This is geared towards non-solo operations. I'm an employee at a local LCC, and do all aspects of the operations we have. However, I'm hard of hearing since birth, but can hear on the phone somewhat with help of hearing aids. After having difficulty hearing on the phone the past week or so due to hearing aids getting affected with moisture (ie sweat), my boss is looking into a way I can get messages from the office such as text pagers and the like. My question is, besides text pagers, are there any other ways that I can recieve and send information to help keep in contact with the office and other personel.
  2. lilred731

lilred731 LawnSite Member

How about messages through the use of the phone.

My wife hears better using the speaker phone on my Nextel phone than putting the phone up to her hearing aid.
  3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of the cellular companies offer text messaging. The messages can be somewhat cryptic at times to save time inputting the message on the phone end. But the messages you receive at your phone can be quite detailed because you can go to a providers web site and type in the message.

In your case where it is a hearing problem, your boss could type the message in, and to save time you could call back to confirm or for questions, that would save you time trying to type in your messages with a phone keypad.

IMO this would be a lot better than a pager with text messaging.

Check with Alltel, I know they have the text messaging, and would be happy to demonstrate how it works. Plus I think they are still running the 30 day trial, where if it doesn't work for you, you are only responsible for the minutes used and you can get out of the contract.
  4. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Messages through the phone from what I understand tend to be costly, $.10 cents a message and 2 cents to recieve it, over a period of time, it would be pretty costly. I understand they have those text messages deals, and he is looking at that and seeing the advantages and disadvantages with them. I would use the speaker phone, however being in a noisy enviroment 85% of the time, it won't work effectively for me. I currently just switch my hearing aid to telephonic which is a small coil that electronically connects with the coil inside the phone earpiece. It works fairly well, but the hearing aid will pick up static near any source that emits electrical interference, such as a diesel trucks that I drive. I also rely on lip-reading to help me hear.
  5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeff I sent you a PM with more information on the alltel service and the website.

good luck
  6. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Many cell phone providers will charge x per message or whatever. Go with sprint and you pay $30 for, UNLIMITED text messages, UNLIMITED web access(get the weather, emails......ALL IN COLOR!!!), UNLIMITED nights and weekends, and 300 anytime minutes......

You must purchase a color phone($100^) but it is a great deal.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, text messages