1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Communication problems..english please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I just obtained a new commercial account. It is a hotel (one of the bigger chains), but it is privately owned and operated. The owners told me to give them an estimate, so I did and we agreed upon a price. The next week I come and they want more done, so I say sure I can incorporate that into a new price. They said oh, you already told us $x.xx. I answered yes, but if you ask for more, I need to charge more. They were not happy, but hey, it needed to be done. (i could tell from the start that they were penny pinchers) Anyways, they are from a foreign country and speak decent english. When it came time to sign the service agreement, I presented it to them with the new price, new services etc. They look at one another and start rambling on in some foreign dialect. I politely interrupted and asked them if they could please speak english in front of me. I stated that it is not proper business communications, that I deserved to understand what was being said. I said a few other things, but in a professional, polite manner. They did not seem happy, but what else could I do? It felt unfair. What would you have done, or has this happened to you?
  2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Same exact thing that you did! It ticks me off when people do that and more people need to start saying what you did! But then you get the politicly correct people that will cry that they have the right to talk in whatever dialect. It seems anymore you have to speak most of the launguages in the world if you live in the US, back in the 20's when everyone was coming here it was just understood that you learn american, now adays its the oposite.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have had it happen before, but I usually just tell them, "How about if I come back another time when we can all discuss this."
  4. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

It happened to me just last week,personaly I don't care. It's a fect of life here in Fl. People try to pull all kinds of stuff. I just live with it.
  5. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Anytime a ********* calls for a quote I always turn down the offer. Most calls will come from hotels and gas stations. I had one experience with them and that will be the last. You were exactly right when you said penny pinchers. They are always gonna try to get you to do extra but for the same amount of money.
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I will not even give "towell heads" the time of day after the experiences I have had with every single one I have ever worked for. Penny pinchers is a understatment.....they are more like cheap kniving lying unethical con artists. I have been burned by every single one. Do you want to know how I really feel about them???
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Fourth year in business and I have officially stopped returning phone calls and giving estimates for a select group of people. I hate to do it, but my time is worth money and I know our company will not fall into the category of pricing in which certain individuals are after. I didn't start this business to go back and forth with haggling. If I wanted that, I'd sell used cars.
  8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I pulled one over on a guy that thought he would pull one over on me. When I told him the price, he started talking to his wife in spanish. I have five years of spanish classes under my belt and I can read it, understand what is being said to me and I can speak it fairly fluently. He started rambling on about how he thought I was trying to rip them off because I didn't like hispanics and that he would go ahead and have me service his property until his brother could find the time to start mowing it. Then he turned, smiled and said ok, in perfect english. I shook his hand and said in spanish that I didn't want to do business with a sneaky person like him.
  9. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

No please dont feel it was unfair from you..... I would've done the exactly the same.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You handled it very well. ExTREMly well. I especially like Tiedeman's approach on it.