Communication

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Apr 15, 2000.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My wife and I just checked into the 2 way radios from Alabama Power, Southern Linc. We can get the radios for $99.00 each and $39.00 per month each for unlimited 2 way. Does anybody use hand held CB radios for daily communication? I think it would be a better way to communicate for free(after buying them) than spending another $80.00 per month. I don't know how well they work though, need to know before buying how they perform.<p>Homer

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We have used CB for the past 30 years. At one time, the CB used to be very busy, but now it hard to find many on there. If you get CB, get the ones with Upper and Lower Sideband. You can talk lots farther with that, but you can't get sideband in hand helds. We have a base unit and one in the truck and we let our helper use the one out of the John Deere in the summer. We use one in the truck and JD in the winter for plowing. This way we don't have to get out of our warm cabs to talk. On a clear radio waves day, you can talk up to 50 miles, but on a day when what they call Skip Conditions are rolling, you can only talk about 10 or 15 miles. Skip conditions is when the sun spots are just right so the radio waves skip off the atmosphere and it is easier to talk to some one in England or South America than it is 10 miles away. This happens in 7 year incriments. If you get one, let me know. It is possible we could talk to each other when the skip is rolling. We talk on 35 Lower sideband. <p>If you want to be able to talk to each other with hand held when ever and at big distances, get the radio/telephone. It may cost you, but you will always be able to talk. We use the pager and cellphone combo also. It is more reliable than the CB radio.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>

3. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I JUST GOT THE NEXTEL'S FOR MY WIFE AND I,HAD THEM ABOUT A WEEK.THEY ARE GREAT ,TWO-WAY RADIOS AND CELL-PHONES.I WAS TOLD THERE WAS NO DISTANCE LIMIT ON THE TWO-WAYS,AND NO ROAMING CHARGES ON THE PHONES,IT IS JUST WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

4. HOMER

How much were the Nextels? I'm using the pager/cell phone now and think in the long run I would still come out cheaper this way than going with the so. linc radios. I could upgrade the radios to more cell minutes an include a pager on them for xtra $. <p>Eric, normally we would never be more than 15-20 miles apart. Would the handheld cb's reach that distance without breaking up? I wanted something I could keep on me so I wouldn't have to constasntly stop and get off the mower and go to the truck!!!!!!!!<p>Homer

5. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Downer with hand held 2 ways is that the batteries are forever dying at the worst time<br>and they do tend to get damaged easilly.<br>What happens if you get caught in the rain with one? How well do they cope with dust,<br>vibration,being dropped,ect.? I thought<br>about carrying a Motorola 15 channel 2 way<br>on the tractor,but the vibration and general<br>pounding would kill it within a week.I stick<br>with mobile phones (cell phone).Motorola seems to be the toughest one around.I usually<br>go through 2 a year.<p>Karl<br>

6. goose

goose LawnSite Member

Homer ,check and see what everyone in your area is using.Nextel or Southern Linc.Both of them are great products .We use southern right now.They cover the whole state including the Florida panhandle.I don't know what part of Alabama you are in but if you had one you could talk to me in Birmingham with a click of the button.The only bad thing is when you get out the state you have no coverage ,including cell phone.We are going to go back to nextel Monday because everyone is on them.They dont cover the whole state totally but they have a lot of footprints in the state.All the decent size towns and bigger have coverage and you might lose a signal say if you drive from Montgomery to Birmingham for a few miles where as Southern you dont lose a signal.Plus Atlanta is in the the Bama package.Good luck<br> Goose

7. DMC300

HEY HOMER THEY HAVE DIFFERENT PACKCAGES FOR DIFFERENT SIZE CO.'S.I GOT 100 COMBINED MIN.ON THE TWO-WAYS(ENOUGH FOR US)AND 200 MOBILE MINUTES ON EACH PHONE.EVERYTHING IS ROUNDED TO THE SECOND INSTEAD OF THE MINUTE LIKE MOST MOBILE CO.'S.TOTAL IS $80 PER MO. CALL THE 800# IN YOUR AREA,THE GUY GAVE ME TWO MOTOROLAS (LAST YEARS MODEL),TWO LEATHER CASES,TWO 12 VOLT CHARGERS,AND TWO HOME CHARGERS FOR $53.50!SOMEONE HAD JUST TURNED THEM BACK IN AND UPGRADED TO THE NEW i1000'S.HOPE YOU CHECK OUT THIS CO.FIRST!I AM IN AN UNINCORPORATED AREA AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM SO FAR!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING<br>

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Hand held CB's won't talk very far. Don't waste your money. What's the difference if you keep a phone on you or a CB? You won't hear the radio while mowing, but a pager on vibrate you will feel it.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

9. HOMER

I was going to keep the pager on my belt so I could pick up those &quot;good vibrations&quot;, just tired of paying that high cell bill every month.<p>DMC 300, was that $80.00 for both per month!?<br>Sounds like you got a real good deal, my package I was quoted was $39.95 per month per radio, with unlimited 2 way and only 10 minutes of mobile air time. If I wanted the radios with vibra-alert they would run me $249.00 each. I think I will check into Nextel first but might keep what I got. Thanks for the good info.<p>Homer

10. DMC300

I WAS LEANING TOWARD THE UNLIMITED TWO-WAY WITH MIN.CELL TIME,BUT THE REP.EXPLAINED THAT TWO PEOPLE WOULD NOT HAVE AN ADVANTAGE WITH THE UNLIMITED PACKAGE.SO THAT'S WHY I WENT WITH THE CHEAPEST PROGRAM&gt;$39.95 PER MO.PER PHONE.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING