Communication

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BobcatBoy06, Dec 26, 2006.

1. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

I was wondering how most of you guys with several crews keep in touch with you trucks out there?

2. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have crews, but I would guess most use the #1 choice of redneck communication.... NEXTEL!!!

God, if there is anything more annoying than standing in Burger King while Bubba sits there behind you yapping away on his Nextel using the speaker function, I don't know what it is...... Sometimes I want to turn around and tell Bubba to STFU, that he may think he is cool and important cause BillyBob wants to chit chat with him, but he is making himself look like a fool with the loud phone

3. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

Yea Nextel if alright, I'm just wondering about an airway. Something that all the guys can have while they are working. Company phones are ok, it just depends how many you need.

4. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Cell phones, with PTT.

Radios have their place, but distance can be a limiting factor.

Tim

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I agree with Tim, radio's have their place but often times you loose a signal and hear nothing but static. If we're on a big site we have used our Cobra 2way's, these are the (I think) 8watts each unit. They do great IMO, we've tested them to about 2-3 mile line of sight power. We used them in our condo's we picked up and they saved a lot of wasted time trying to ask a question etc.

6. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

Tim, stupid question it may be, but what is PTT?

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

PTT = Push To Talk (Nextel/Verizon)...

8. Tim Wright

What Splicer said.

Tim

9. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

Thanks, makes sense. We only have two crews and cell phones work well. I would like to be able to track my other vehicle though.

10. Tim Wright

If tracking a vehicle is the issue, perhaps GPS or GPS enabled cell phone would be the ticket.

I am going to be adding cell lines with PTT and group PTT so that I can communicate with foremen, more than one simutanously. I would also like to pick up at least a set of 2 ways (20 mile range) with ear buds and jaw bone mics, for communicating between trucks and equipment, say like for plowing snow, or loading the dump truck with the tractor.

With the 20 mile-ers you have to get a FCC license for them and they are around $200 per set.

Tim