Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by wendicp, Feb 19, 2007.

1. wendicp

wendicp LawnSite Member

How do you guys communicate with your lead men on the job?
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

......... nextel
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

My wife just yells at me or looks my way and shakes her fist.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

cell phones...or I just show up which is usually not pretty lol
  5. wendicp

wendicp LawnSite Member

We are not always on the job site and have 4 crews running. We have used nextel before and were not to pleased with it. Have any other ideas? Are there any 2-way radios with a good range? Thanks for the info.
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have been thinking about 2 way radio but not sure how they will work. I just use cell phones for now.
  7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I just tap myself on the shoulder and start a conversation with myself... I have heard of a few companies in the metroplex that use 2 way radios as long as they never stray too far from the shop. I believe the majority use a Nextel type system.
  8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have used 2-ways and nextel and I really prefer cell phones.

When someone long winded gets going on a radio type device you can't stop them. You have to wait until they have said their piece.

This can be particularly embarrassing when someone is in the office that should not be there and is hearing the conversation on the base unit.

With the Nextels it is just time consuming to have to listen to someone answer a question they thought you asked.

I know businesses were more productive and run more efficiently in the old days. Because you left the office with a list of things to complete and there were no interruptions.

Same thing goes for the crews. There was a well thought out plan, you had what you needed to get through the day and you made things happen. If not you didn't keep your job.

Communication devices have ruined a whole generations ability to plan ahead.

The best communication device is some well thought out planning. Followed by cell phones.
  9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Each owner has a cell phone w/ push to talk capability. Great when he and I are snow plowing at different sites and need a quick update.
  10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Cell phones do the job