1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Community Mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Jan 16, 2002.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of you lco's gotten together with other lco's and have a common mulch pile? I only use about 150 yards/mulch in a season and I'm tired of paying $16/yard. Doesn't leave much room for markup. What I would like to do is get about 8 lco's together and stockpile mulch for our own jobs. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!!! LAWNS AND MOWER
  2. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

you better stick to paying the 16. or it could be worse .
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I know prices vary all over, but I wish we could buy mulch for $16 a yard here.
    You will need a huge area to hold all that mulch, 8 guys taking say 100 yards each, 800 yards, who is going to keep track of who takes how much also, the honor system, yeah right. If you can get 8 guys together to agree to this, that buying it together will save you money, I think you would be better off getting those 8 businesses to agree on raising their prices so you all make better money. I think you're setting yourself up for more headaches. Slinging mulch around here is probably some of my most profitable work. Prices must really vary from area to area.Just something to ponder!
  4. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

This may sound dumb but is MULCH = BARK????????
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

To much trouble. Spend time trying to negotiate cheaper price.

Mulch can be bark, pine needles, ground up trees, etc.

I've talked to one of my friendly competitors and he's in the same boat I'm in. He's into this idea also and he has a buddy that would let us store the mulch on his property plus he has a loader also. We would be real selective as to who we would allow into this mulch co-op. I hope the honor system would work, but we know how that goes. I live about 1 hour from 3 lumber yards so we could get a tractor-trailer of mulch for about $600. Each load holds about 90 yards so it would run us about $7/yard , mark up to $20/yard plus labor to spread it. We would only stockpile about 300 yards at a time so the seed money to get this thing started wouldn't be that much. Just wondering if any other lco's have tried this?

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i myself cant get mulch that cheap either. i get mulch at landscapers price starting at $23 a yd for pine bark mulch. if you do go this route, just make sure you turn the pile over frequently so it doesnt become acidic. i bought mulch one time from a local nursery, and they didnt turn the mulch, and when i applied it, it destroyed all the shrubs. of course they covered it, but you have to becareful if the mulch will be sitting for awhile.

Thanks for the tip mdb. I've heard of mulch piles catching on fire from internal combustion. That would suck. See our 300 yard pile of mulch reduced to ashes!!

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

$16 is what I also pay for mulch. But I charge $45-50 a yard installed. As for a community pile, I'd stay away from that idea. So and so took more than me and thats not fair. You get the idea.
  10. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

can you guy's get wood chips from the city for free? i know they can run them through a screen they do in some parts of michigan