Compact loaders/backhoe/tractor

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Drew Gemma, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I need a 4wd tractor to brush hog some wet spots on my farm to keep stuff lookin nice, also have a driveway that needs the hump knnocked down and plowed in the winter huge driffting and long narrow drive. Plus we always rent machines for small excavating / diging jobs patios walls what ever it may be.
    What is out there and what is good and affordable?

I like the toolcat from bobcat
    Also John deer has a compact tractor backhoe
    Manily gonna be used for the farm but would also like the versatility to also make a buck or two with it thru the business if opportunities are their.

2. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

Hi Drew, I also have been looking to buy a compact tractor and from all the research I'v done so far I believe the kubota bx24 is the best piece of equipment for the money. I'm looking at one know that is for sell with only 29 hrs. on it and the price is $13,500 compared to a new one that sell's here for around $17,300 with tax. It's 4x4 with loader and backhoe with kubota diesel engine. Do a search on kubota bx24 and read the pro's and con's. The backhoe is detachable so other implement's can be used with 3 point hitch. Good luck finding what serves your needs best and I think I have just made my mind up to go and purchase this tractor today for myself thanks.:usflag:

3. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

Drew, you might take a good look at the Kubota B21 and L35 models. They both have quick detach backhoes and 3 point hitch arms for rear attachments. I have had many of each model in my wholesale business and would recommend either one pending the size requirement. The B21 can be easily overwhelmed with too large a job but might suit your needs. I have information about how I check backhoes on my website www.accuratemachinery.com. If you find yourself looking at the B21 or a L35 feel free to contact me and I will gladly relate some of the more common areas of trouble that I have encountered.

4. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

Well I bought my kubota bx24 today :clapping:

5. Drew Gemma

and tell me shoot some pics I want the full details I am so jealous

6. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

Drew I have located another BX23, 4x4, loader, backhoe, that only has 50 hour's on it and it can be bought for $12,000. If your interested let me know and I will send you the name and address. It is in Tennessee not sure how far you would be willing to drive? You can see pics of mine on the tractor forum under kubota bx24.

7. Drew Gemma

i appreciate the help but I need to go with a 35 or 39 hp tractor. That way I got enough to do the farm mowing. But defenitly lets see some pics and feed back on that new toy.

8. logorhea

logorhea LawnSite Member

I have had 14 Steiner 18-27 hp tractors and 2 Kubota GLs with power shift. I used two Steiners to clear 90 acres of 5-year old brush when we bought this 150 acres 24(!) years ago, and then used them for chore tractors once we got the sheep. I mowed banks the sheep wouldn't eat on. We had several bigger Fords with Selecto-Speeds (I've got a bum left knee,) so when Kubota came out with the 40 horsepower GSTs I bought one. I used it to brush hog in 6th gear with a 7' mower, mow and rake in 7th with disk mowers and powered finger rakes, bale in 5 gear with a 4x5 round baler. Got a 46 hp when they came out because I found I could use it to do 90% of the steep spots that I used the Steiner on, including the above-mentioned sheepless one. There's no use in my book for 2-wheel drive equipment; the Kubota pulled through mud that would stop my Ford 6000 with 38" wheels and good lug tires, and PA winters need the extra downhill holdback of the 4-wheel drive. A loader frame is in the way for farming, although the extra weight helps with heavy wagons, and those BX Kubotas are no match for the Steiners for loader/landscaping/woodland work.