Compact or full size ZTR for pulling attachments?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Geordon, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Geordon

Geordon LawnSite Member

I want to get a 52" ZTR, and also use it to pull a 48" core aerator and 4' steel lawn roller. Going with either Toro or eXmark. I like the HP/Z100 series for size, but not sure if they will hold up to towing these attachments. Will I need the full size Lazer/Z250 series instead? Concerned about stress on the frame and hydros.

Thanks,

Geordon

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Geo,

These ZTR's aren't tractors. Those 4' rollers approach 1000 lbs when filled! It can be done, but remember to keep the RPM's maxed out. Also, watch hills, as going down with 1000lb's behind you isn't FUN! And, going back up is hard on the hydros.

I would assume that the HP vs. Fullsize hyros are similar in their capacities.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would ask your dealer if it will handle this. I haven't noticed hitches on those brands, so maybe they did that for a reason.

I use my diesel DC for aerating and it works out fine. Did my first late summer aerating job today.

Here is another thread on this subject.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19995

4. Geordon

Geordon LawnSite Member

Geordon
    Toro recommends no more than 100lbs towed behind a Z-Master. Engine size does not doesn't change towing capacity the hydraulic pumps and system are designed to carry the weight of the machine with an operator and to handle hills and other simular loads. Depending on the size of the operator 60 to 80lbs may only be pulled.
    Sincerely;
    Dan Roberts
    LCE Technical Service Representative

5. Geordon

Geordon LawnSite Member

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your question.

The hitch kit is rated for 85 lbs. draw bar weight, which means it can only take 85lbs of force to pull it. What we normally say for a general rule, is that if you can pull it yourself, it should be fine to tow behind the Lazer or Lazer HP.

One thing to keep in mind is to never go down an incline while towing an attachment, you won't stop until you reach the bottom.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,
    Lenny

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i use the lazer for pulling but it only uses about 2 qts mobile in hydros so watch the heat build up . for pulling 1000 lbs or so
    id check w dealer.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

AWM, Tony, please read the TWO posts above yours. It is the official Word from Exmark and Toro on what they will tow. These are the emails he got in reply to his question from these 2 Mfg.