Compact Tractor Vs. Skid Steer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ToroMaster, Feb 18, 2005.

1. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

I have been looking at 40hp tractors with loaders for some time now. Just recently I have been more interested in a Bobcat because of the power and maneuverability. I will be doing complete lawn installations with a lot of retaining walls. The tractors loaders usually max out at around 2000lbs. while the bobcats loaders can lift anything. This will come in handy when moving pallets of block around the property. The obvious comparison between the two is the speed, its like cutting grass with a grandpa's garden tractor instead of the new zero-turns. Any input from anyone who has used both pieces of equipment please help!

2. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

I have both.... They both have their strong points and their weak points. The Bobcat's GREAT for loader work. It handles forks better than a conventional tractor/loader set-up. I also have a "bush hog" attachment for it. GREAT for clearing overgrown property. The tractor is better suited for sprayer use, seeding, fertilizing, and mowing. I (personally) prefer the tractor for snow removal, but I hear other comments from other contractors.

The Bobcat has become an indispensable part of my operation, but I wouldn't want to be without any of my tractors either. IF you elect to go with a compact tractor, and will be using it for loader work, go with 4WD! I have several tractors. MOST are 2WD. I have ONE 4WD, and find myself drawn to that one most of the time.

3. tomv420

tomv420 LawnSite Member

I own a skid steer and it is ok but I would much rather a compact tractor with backhoe

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a CAT skid steer and it is great around the jobsite....excavating for patios, moving and staging block, pavers, sod...etc., Rough and fine grading, moving soils...etc, but there is alot of damage repair afterwards. For new landscape installs or renovations we use the Kubota L35. It does very little damage to lawns, we can use it to dig trees in and bring in soil to mound up beds. Sometimes it's best to have both if you can afford it. It's a great way to get that second landscape crew started too.

Chris

5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a skid steer and tractor as well. You stated that you would be doing a lot of retaining walls and lawn repairs. In that case I would recommend a tractor with a backhoe. It can do both the lawn renovations and the excavations for retaining walls. You could go the way of a skid steer with a backhoe attachment, but I'm not that crazy about them. Chris mentioned the L-35. I own one also and it is a great machine for what you will be doing.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

The two gentlemen that have the L35...

Would you mind giving me a ballpark on what one of those puppies cost. I know there are a bunch of extras.Just looking for a price range for curiosity's sake.

BTW...I love that machine...for that size it has a lot of power.

7. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I paid around $32,000.00 for mine about a year and a half ago. It had a couple hundred hours on it. The price also included cab and heat, quick tach kit, 7' power angle plow for the rear, bucket, forks and a box scraper. I think I figured like $27,000 or $28,000 for the machine itself. I will tell you two things: Used L-35s are not easy to find, at least not here. Also, they hold their value, so don't expect to find a cheap one.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I know, I know. Dealer/Rental yard says this to me all the time...gets people in all the time trying to by the rental ones. I was thinking around 30k...guess I wasn't that far off. thx for the reply.