1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Compact Tractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MFNA, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MFNA

MFNA LawnSite Member

I have a wierd situation with a potential customer. They recently purchased a rural home with a few acres to maintain (believe somewhere around 2-4) They DO NOT want to take care of their yard and have contacted me They asked me if i have a tractor which I do not, but I have offered that if they purchased one (which they are willing to do) i would service their property for an agreed upon hourly rate. Which brand of compact tractor is suitable for this type need i know nothing about tractors. I would guess the big brands would be John Deere, Kubota, perhaps New Holland. Anys suggestions on what to look for, engines, reliability, price, etc./.....

2. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Why wouldn't you just buy one and pad their bill to cover the costs. Then YOU can still use it for other things.

I honestly wouldn't work something out like this. What happens when it breaks. Who does maintenance on it. What happens if you shoot a rock with their mower through a passer-by's window. You'll have issues getting your insurance to cover it, since it wasn't your equipment and they'll have the same issues since it was a business doing the work. It just doesn't sound like a good idea. If I were them I would find someone who has a tractor. Then you have the issue of what is the billable time if you're using their tractor vs using your hedge trimmer/string trimmer. I really think that will be too complicated and if I were you I would either bid the job high enough to cover the payments on a tractor. Or just don't take the job.

Furthermore what will the tractor be used for? Mowing?

3. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

Why does it take a tractor to cut the property? Can you not cut it with your ZTR? Sounds like it might be a mixture of mowing and brush-hogging.

4. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a used one cheaper and make sure this account covers the payment. Then u could use it for other things in your business. I know I could have used on numerous occasions just haven't had the right incentive to get one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. eco.lawns

eco.lawns LawnSite Member

I havent had any issues with my little kubota. Is the grass going to be really long? if not just cut it with a z. compact tractors cut really slow and arent easy on the turf without turf tires