Compact Yaupon Holly looks like broccoli

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Mar 4, 2003.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Just took on a new fertilizing customer. Their Compact Yaupon Hollys look like broccoli. I have never seen anything like it, took it to 2 local nurseries & Lesco and no luck. Any ideas on why this would look like this?

yaupon holly 2.jpg

2. KirbysLawn

Side by side with a normal one:

yaupon holly.jpg

3. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

possibly uptake of a growth regulator or herbicide. Maybe a genetic defect leading to dwarfism or a witch's broom? Hard to tell. See what if anything was applied in the area. Let us know if you find out. It's not flowers is it?

4. KirbysLawn

No PGR's or herbicides. The shrub has only received normal fertilizer around the base.

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have never seen a yaupon holly bloom but it could possibly be that. I know the weeping yaupon holly has tiny white flowers.

6. KirbysLawn

No blooms. This effect appears on the Jasmine also. They don't live near the nuke plant either.

jasmine.jpg

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

have you tested for nematodes?

8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

One on the right looks like some good sh*it!;)

9. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

This is another form of withes broom. Typically plantings show the dense clusters of small on otherwise normal branches. The mass of shoots comes from a common point, giving a broom-like appearance. Leaves will discolor early and remain small but vigor is not affected. This fungal is found on trees, shrubs and woody perennials.

Witches broom may last several years. Although some people consider witches broom unsightly, serious injury seldom results.
    It can be caused by various sources including mites, viruses, fungi, mistletoes, insects, and nematodes. Knowing the type of host plant can help determine the cause of the witches broom.

There is no practical control for this disease symptom, but unsightly brooms can be pruned off. My experience is limited, but typically this fungal condition is found in conditions where cultural controls have resulted in this condition, take control of the water and improve soil compaction. Would suggest, aeration of the root system with a pitch fork and apply cotton seed meal routinely. Its worked for us.

I'll take a stab..... these came from the same landscape the ligustrum came from? with regards... devildog

10. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

KirbysLawn

Did this problem plants come from the same garden as the Ligustrum...?