compacta holly/monkey grass

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by captken, Feb 8, 2005.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I am bidding a landscape restoration at a local school. My plan calls for the installation of Compacta Hollies as a back border against the buillding.
    What is the ideal spacing for these shrubs? What are their growth charateristics, how high do they get if left alone? I plan not to add mulch, just plant Monkey grass to fill out the beds.
    What is the optimal spacing of liriope (monkey grass). 4" pots. How long will it take to fill out the area thick?
    The area is 90'x5'. How many plants?
    kenny.

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

2' off the building and 4.5'apart.You need 20 plants.

The area is 90'x5'. How many plants?

There is no room for the liriope,to be planted correctly. :blob3:

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

HUH? ;)

ILEX crenata will reach 5'-6' at full maturity. They want it used as a backdrop because it will form nice hedging. When used for hedges they should be planted 24" apart based on ANLA nursery standards. If that is the case you would need 45 plants (90' @ 2' increments). :)

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I think (hope) Norm was implying that the only way to properly plant liriope was to carry it to the nearest dumpster, open the lid, and chuck it in.:) :waving:

Dan

5. captken

I was thinking the spacing should be between 2'-3'. On the compacta holly. I understand, by reading paponte's response, that nursery standards call for spacing of 2'. This bed is the small one. The total linear footage is 325' in 4 beds.
    I was wondering about the liriope spacing. I know, I don't care much for monkey grass myself, however it would work here.
    kenny

walls elemtary school 011 (Small).jpg

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry Ken, Liriope should be planted 12" apart. In shady conditions you may want to up that to around 15", to allow adequate airflow so they will not hold in humidity. :)

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

sorry to be rude (not my intent i promise), but why would you bid plants for a job you know nothing about????

if you plan on getting into this work much, then you really need at the least a plant encyclopedia...

8. captken

I appreciate the input guys.
    Yardpro, I thought Lawnsite was for professionals growing together. I don't think you are being rude. However, for your information, I am into this business [lawn service, commercial/residential] much!
    That being said, I don't do a lot of large landscaping projects, however I do quite a few smaller ones for residential customers. I just want to get it right. So I ask a question. It is a matter of cost, the least amount of plants required to achieve a quality result, without wasting resources.
    You can bet that if I have a question that I want answered, I will post it here because I feel that I will get Professional advice. Btw, I've tried to help others here when they have had a question about our work.
    thanks all, kenny

9. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

In twenty plus years in the nursery industry, this is the first time I have ever heard liriope called "monkey grass". Bloody funny, that is. :D

10. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

paponte

HUH? "

ILEX crenata will reach 5'-6' at full maturity. They want it used as a backdrop because it will form nice hedging. When used for hedges they should be planted 24" apart based on ANLA nursery standards. If that is the case you would need 45 plants (90' @ 2' increments). "

Ilex Crenata Compacta

Latin Name: Ilex crenata ‘Compacta’
    Family: Aquafoliaceae
    Form: Rounded
    Size: Up to 6' tall and 4-6' spread

Tell me if you plant them 2' apart what happens to the 4-6' spread.

The Liriope would be at 12" centers - D.Felix I agree the dumpster is the best place for this.

Now with the Compacta at 2' centers and the liriope at 12" centers
    2' off the building

What you have now is a mess. :rolleyes:

Too many textbook lawnboys trying to do landscaping