Compacted Soil

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by G Archer, Oct 6, 2006.

1. G Archer

G Archer LawnSite Member

I installed a new centipede lawn about six weeks ago. I have an irrigation system and have been keeping it moist. There is a 20x40 feet streak that wilts about 2 days after a thorough watering. The surrounding area is lush and green. I stuck a screwdriver in this area to a depth of about 6 inches easily, but in the wilted area, the soil is hard and could only penetrate less than 2 inches. This area is fairly sandy soil and was tilled to a depth of about 6-8 inches and leveled before laying sod. I used a good quality sod. Could someone please help because I am afraid that the wilted area is going to die if I do not loosen up the soil. THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!
    Glenn Archer, Middle Georgia

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Do you think that the water is running off that area before soaking in, or is it on a high spot causing the water to run off? Have you considered aerating and watering more often. Find a Martin Biochem dealer. They deal with farmers, but I use their soil microbes on my lawns that have compaction problems and it works. This is applied in liquid form is basically green water that is loaded with microbes that loosen the soil compaction and help the grass by breaking down the nutrients in the soil making it more available for the plants. Results need less water and fertilizer and have a greener healthier turf. I know this sounds far fetched but it works on soil, used for alfalfa, potatoes, you name it.

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Oh yea I forgot about gypsum. If you can't find the M.Biochem just get gypsum from Lowes or your fertilizer dealer and put it on heavy in those areas this helps with compaction problems also.