compacting 16" patio stones????

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by blip, May 2, 2008.

1. blip

blip LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I posted this in the homeowner's assistance forum, but thought I may get more input here. Thanks.

Does anyone have any experience compacting 16x16x2" patio stones, found at Lowes/HD, during the final step of laying a patio? My wife and I are kind of set on them for color/look(faux cobblestone), but I'm concerned as I've seen a couple of posts in different threads stating that they are prone to cracking if compacted into the sand bed.

I have laid a patio before with a neighbor using 6x6 and 6x9 pavers, so I have a good understanding of excavation, base, slope, etc., I just need to know if I can compact them down 3/8" at the end or use a mallet to set them in the sand a bit.

Thanks for any advice!

LS rocks!

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Use (rent) a vibrating compactor with a rubber mat attached to the bottom.

3. senatorcongressman

senatorcongressman LawnSite Member
    from WDC

Or use sheet of plywood between plate compactor and pavers.

4. blip

blip LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'll check to see if my rental place has a rubber mat for the compactor, if not I'll give the plywood a try.

5. patpls

patpls LawnSite Member
    from Mn

If the rental place doesn't have a rubber mat, a carpet square will do also.

6. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

16 x 16? I have compacted some slabs this size with good results but if you bought them at home depot I can assure you many of them will crack even with a padding in between.

7. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

They will crack, no way around it. Just set them in, even with .5" plywood your going to get some that just wont hold up.

8. blip

blip LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Good enough, thanks. No compacting after I set them.