Compactor pad

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PlatinumLandCon, Dec 30, 2008.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone use a pad for compacting pavers so the metal-on-concrete doesn't leave white dots? I've heard of pieces of carpet, plywood, geo-tex, etc. I want something that I can put on and take off relatively easy and will last.

2. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L LawnSite Member

i have heard that they work, but obviously ive never tried one...

3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

For us it depends on the paver and the compactor. If the pavers are tumbled I don't use a pad,if they aren't tumbled I do use a pad. A Belle compactor I used once left white quarter size dots all over. The other compactors I use didn't leave any dots. Those 2 compactors were a bomag and a wacker. These are my expereinces with these 3 compactors. So, if you have access to a pad you might want to use it just to be on the safe side.

4. Fiano Landscapes

Fiano Landscapes LawnSite Member

You can get on Pavetech's website and look at some options. Depending on your situation you can just designate a certain compactor on your fleet to use for this situation. We found it easier to have a compactor with a pad on it all the time used only for compacting the pavers after they are laid.

5. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I have a pad from Pavetech, works fine for me. Take it on and off as needed but it is a 'one size fits all' so a little trimming to get to the right size.

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

A quick and cheap method would be to use a piece of non-woven filter cloth, the type you would use behind retaining walls. Just keep a 10' piece of it rolled up in the cargo and whats nice too is it keeps the dust to a minimum. The pads I haven't tried but I hear they work great.

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

We use a havy duty door mat with grommets installed it works great

8. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

9. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

We have one compactor dedicated to final compaction and it has a pad installed. When we first started out we had a single compactor and installing and removing the pad, though not difficult, was a pain, especially if you were doing the job in segments. The pad does slow down the forward motion of the compactor and I'm told reduces the compaction force somewhat.

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

it also reduces cracking and point loading.