Company blew out my system...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by slemon, Oct 15, 2012.

1. slemon

slemon LawnSite Member

Well, per tech guy they blow out at 110 PSI without a problem for X number of years. While no heads were blown out of the ground, I am still wondering since there were like two or three moments (for 3-5 seconds) of mainline being closed under that pressure while they switched from one program to another. My mainline is 1 1/4" poly rated at 160 PSI. Am I safe?

2. RidgeRun10

RidgeRun10 LawnSite Member

It is hard to say. Irrigation system winterization should be done with high air volume and low air pressure. By low, I mean 60-80 PSI. We regulate the air on all of our compressors so that is can't surge and possibly cause damage. If they were switching programs and had the system off for more than a few minutes, they should have turned the air off on the compressor. Not regulating air pressure is not only potentially damaging, it is also not safe.

3. slemon

slemon LawnSite Member

it took for him like 5 seconds at most to switch programs, but the compressor was running.

4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

There is friction loss when air moves through pipes (same as water), so by the time the air gets to the heads your not at 110psi. Also your mainline will not shoot up to 110 psi in 5 sec, just as your tire does not inflate to 60-70psi in 5 sec when you air it up. There is a lot of volume in a 1 1/4 in mainline that needs to be pressurized.

This all being said, I am based in TX. What is a blowout? hahaha

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I love it when every once in a while you send a head into orbit. My compressor is set at 70 pounds and it happens couple times a yr on homeowners installed systems usually.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I only wish there was a precise setting that only destroyed Home Cheapo sprinkler heads. Some of the old plastic popup impacts are touchy about pressure, if you give a zone a second charge of air.

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt worry , 5 seconds isnt long . I have heard of contractors pressurizing the main on puprose to blow out a system , this is where damage occurs .

8. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

there is a setting that will destroy only homeowner installs
    step 1: recognize that the system is a homeowner install
    step 2: set compresser to home owner setting (ie. crank up compressor for max psi, max cfm)
    step 3: blow the heads into orbit, ironically their homeowner install is probably orbit brand heads)
    step 4: bill them to replace heads with the propper ones for the site
    step 5: set compresser back to contracter installed system setting (particularly important to do before going to one of your own installs)